Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Supplements
      #372461 - 09/11/15 03:34 AM
oatcake

Reged: 09/02/15
Loc: London

Hi,

I'm still having trouble breaking the cycle...
I was wondering if the B vitamin I'm taking would be a problem, the ingredients are:

Microcrystalline Cellulose, Dicalcium Phosphate, Nicotinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Silicon Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Croscarmellose Sodium, Pyroxidine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Cyancobalamin.

Aside from that maybe the medication tablets I take (amitriptyline) or the colpermin peppermint capsule could be too hard?

Or the caplets that my probiotics are encased in?

--------------------
oatcakes don't actually agree with me?!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Supplements new
      #372462 - 09/11/15 03:46 AM
oatcake

And I am eating plain grilled chicken and cod as I am starving, is that ok?

--------------------

#372463 - 09/11/15 06:46 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Could never, ever tolerate B vitamins.....every time I tried, I would burp them up all day, which was an indicator that my stomach wasn't liking them Vitamins in general are just hard on my stomach so I gave up!

Broiled, grilled, etc...chicken, fish, etc.. and baked potatoes are my "go to"....usually will eat for a couple days to get things back on track.....good luck....

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#372465 - 09/11/15 11:18 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yes, vitamins can upset the gut. Try stopping it for a few days and see if that helps.

Also, the amitriptyline can definitely affect the gut - ask your doc and pharmacist about that, and if there would be better options.

The plain white meat chicken is fine, but have something like white rice to get yourself a good soluble fiber foundation to stabilize the gut.

The pep oil caps should help, not hurt.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#372469 - 09/13/15 02:50 AM
oatcake

Thanks for replying! Extra input is SO useful..
I'll give my vitamins a miss for a few days and carry on with the plain chicken and fish with dinner

--------------------

#372470 - 09/13/15 02:59 AM
oatcake

Thanks for replying Heather! Very much appreciated...

I take the amitriptyline for my IBS to help calm the gut and reduce spasms.

What I'm unsure about is the micro-crystalline cellulose used as filler in medications as wikipedia describes it as 'refined wood pulp' and that sounds like insoluble fiber to me!

I've been taking my medications on an empty stomach so it may be causing issues...?

So much to reassess when beginning to look at IBS from this standpoint!

--------------------

#372471 - 09/14/15 09:20 AM
RhiannonsMom

Reged: 10/15/13

We're just starting to try supplementing with L Glutamine (supposedly helps heal intestinal lining). Too soon to tell if it's working, but it's also something you might look in to.

Also, anyone out there tried something called "Seacure"? Some kind of specialized fish protein that helps with IBS (especially with IBS pain and bloating according to the reviews I read). It may be another scam--all of us who suffer from this or who have family members who suffer from IBS will try just about anything to get a life back.

If anyone out there has tried L Glutamine or Seacure, it would be interesting to hear your results. Desperation will make us try lots of things we never thought we would.

#372472 - 09/14/15 09:54 AM
RhiannonsMom

Reged: 10/15/13

If you can stand it, when my daughter can't eat anything else, we do a steamed rice with tofu and a bitter of ginger with soy sauce (gluten free--Tamari). Also, rice with vanilla soy milk as a "ruce pudding" when everything else causes an attack. Sometimes that gets us through the tough spots.
It all depends on your reaction to soy.
Hope this helps. If you have any questions, just let me know.
RhiannonsMom

L glutamine can't hurt, but not sure it will help. Have never heard of Seacure, so sorry. -nt- new
      #372474 - 09/14/15 03:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#372475 - 09/14/15 03:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

The fillers and binders in capsules/pills are usually so minute in quantity that unless you have an actual allergy to them, they're not likely to cause problems.

I would definitely find out more about whether your meds are to be taken with or without food - that could make a huge difference in GI side effects. Especially true if you can/should take something with food but are taking on an empty stomach.

Also double check about the amitriptyline - might need dose adjusted if GI symptoms are changing. And if your version of the med recently changed (from brand to generic, or one generic manufacturer to another) it's worth asking the pharmacist about that too. Sometimes tiny changes to prescription meds make a big impact, even when it's just a different version of the same med.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 758 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12415

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review