All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Nausea while taking Heather's Tummy Powder
      #372428 - 08/27/15 12:13 PM
path2wellness

Reged: 08/27/15

Hello,

I have started using Heather's Tummy Powder for a chronic diarrhea/loose bowels issue. I find that the Tummy Powder is helping but I'm starting to get gut nausea, sometimes fairly intense usually a while after I've taken the powder (with a meal) and before the next meal. It seems like the nausea may come from the bowels slowing down, so I'm having a tough time trying to find a balance between dosing the Tummy Powder to reduce loose stools, but at the same time not taking too much as to get nausea. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nausea while taking Heather's Tummy Powder new
      #372434 - 08/28/15 11:17 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'm so sorry to hear this. The fiber shouldn't cause nausea so I am a bit flummoxed.

Have you tried adding it right into moist foods instead of taking it separately in liquids?

What is your current dose?

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Nausea while taking Heather's Tummy Fiber new
      #372435 - 08/28/15 03:39 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

>It seems like the nausea may come from the bowels slowing down,
I've felt that too plus heartburn and am wondering if the lower stomach valve has to strengthen up again? Soluble fiber makes me feel full quicker, so I've had to eat slower and smaller meals.

Edited by sgcray (08/28/15 03:39 PM)

Re: Nausea while taking Heather's Tummy Powder new
      #372440 - 08/31/15 12:19 PM
path2wellness

Thank you for your responses!

Heather -- I haven't tried adding the fiber to moist foods yet, though I have been sipping it with a chicken/vegetable stock drink throughout the meal. Current dose is 1/2 teaspoon w/breakfast, 1/4 teaspoon w/lunch. I've been on this dose for about 10 days now and don't want to increase it as more seems to make the nausea worse.

sgcray -- I have heartburn issues too so you might be onto something with the lower stomach valve. I'll have to look into this.

Thank you!

#372442 - 09/01/15 01:58 PM
sgcray

Hi,
I'm sorry, the heartburn would be from the upper stomach valve that I've felt spasming. It starts when I've sometimes gotten hard intestinal spasming. I get sickly feeling like things are pushing back up through lower duodenum in stomach and then gastritis with some nausea and heartburn i.e. gerd all over again. Definitely no peppermint tea with heartburn, just the enteric coated caps 3/day which should have at least lessened the harder colon spasming.

#372443 - 09/02/15 01:50 PM
path2wellness

Hi sgcray,
I've never tried it, and glad I haven't -- I heard that peppermint teas (mint specifically) can be bad for heartburn b/c they can relax the LES making heartburn worse! I assume that the enteric coated caps you're talking about are peppermint?
Thank you for your thoughts, and I'm wishing you well in your healing!

#372446 - 09/02/15 09:43 PM
sgcray

Yes, Heather's Tummy Tamers (I call them peppermint+ caps because they include some fennel and ginger oils). Use to have intense gripping pain below the navel that use to last all day every day except while sleeping years ago before the diet, then ceased for the most part after the caps, yippy!

I was thinking I forgot to mention, I do only 1/4C of protein, due to soluble fiber foods filling me up more and too much protein gives me BAD upper GI pain. There is protein in wheat bread, wheat pasta....so 1/4C is plenty;But, if using rice, ya really have to be careful, because the fiber is very low and too much protein has really caused me problems. I add protein powder to the low protein milk substitutes = 8g total protein/cup. If you drink enough water throughout the day total (I only drink 1/2C w meals), it can keep things at a proper pace that the soluble fiber needs to move through like around 6-8C/day;BUT, ibs-c can need alot more and can get away with a little more insoluble fiber than we ibs-d. It's all a balance..;) Thanks for your thoughtful comments, Ditto Happier times ahead.

Edited by sgcray (09/02/15 10:00 PM)

#372447 - 09/02/15 09:57 PM
sgcray

Quote:

Hi,
I'm sorry, the heartburn would be from the upper stomach valve that I've felt spasming. It starts when I've sometimes gotten hard intestinal spasming. I get sickly feeling like things are pushing back up through lower duodenum in stomach and then gastritis with some nausea and heartburn i.e. gerd all over again. Definitely no peppermint tea with heartburn, just the enteric coated caps 3/day which should have at least lessened the harder colon spasming.

Maybe the lower spasming was because I did'nt get the diet right that day, ate too fast, stressed or not enough sleep;Usually I'm better talented at it.:o

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 838 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7206

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review