All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dilemma- IBS misdiagnosis?
      #372351 - 08/09/15 10:12 AM
aaliya

Reged: 07/03/15

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My GI doctor diagnosed me with IBS-C after conducting an upper endoscopy (EDG) and colonoscopy. He was able to rule out celiac and said I have IBS because he noticed my colon "spazzed" during the procedure when he poked it, so he said I have IBS.

However, I have never had the severe cramping or spasm pain that Heather has mentioned as a symptom. Even if I eat insoluble fiber alone, I don't have any sharp pains. Sometimes if I cheat and have a large amount of food like pizza, I have stomach pain and discomfort, but not spastic pain. My main problem is really just constipation and bloating/distention and wind.

After following an IBS diet for many weeks, I am becoming frustrated with no results and after noticing that my symptoms are quite different than the pain described my people on this forum, I am starting to think my doctor may have misdiagnosed me..

Is the sharp pain/spasming experienced by mostly IBS-D? or also people with IBS-C? Is it possible to still have IBS-C without having pain/spasms or alternating between c and d?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dilemma- IBS misdiagnosis? new
      #372352 - 08/09/15 11:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sharp pain/spasms are not necessary for diagnosing IBS. I am only IBS-D and never experience IBS-C except under very unusual circumstances.

Over the 50+ years that I have had IBS I have wondered if I was misdiagnosed a number of times. BUT now I am resigned to IBS

Have you tried the clinically proven FODMAP elimination/re-introduction diet shown to reduce symptoms in 70-80% of IBS suffers

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Dilemma- IBS misdiagnosis? new
      #372355 - 08/09/15 01:23 PM
aaliya

Hmm...so it's possible to have IBS even if I don't have stomach pains/spasms? I'm not sure if I should be following the EFI diet, because isn't the whole point of eating soluble fiber before small amounts of insoluble fiber to cushion the colon and prevent pain/spasming (which I don't have)?

And yes, I am planning to start the fodmap diet, hopefully I will have better luck with it.

Re:HEATHER????? new
      #372358 - 08/09/15 04:17 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Now I'm confused too;I thought you had to have painful colon spasming? Then why the more soluble first?

Edited by sgcray (08/09/15 04:53 PM)

Check the ROME III Criteria new
      #372362 - 08/10/15 07:25 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some people only experience discomfort with no pain - this is mild IBS

See the ROME III Criteria page 889

C1. Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Diagnostic criterion*
Recurrent abdominal pain or discomfort** at least 3 days/month in the last 3 months associated with two or more of the following:
1. Improvement with defecation
2. Onset associated with a change in frequency of stool
3. Onset associated with a change in form (appearance) of stool
* Criterion fulfilled for the last 6 months with symptom onset at least 6 months prior to diagnosis
** "Discomfort" means an uncomfortable sensation not described as pain.
In pathophysiology research and clinical trials, a pain/discomfort frequency of at least 2 days a week during screening evaluation is recommended for subject eligibility.

ROME III Criteria

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Lower abdominal pain or discomfort - it's quite a spectrum new
      #372363 - 08/10/15 09:14 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Some folks have severe pain, some mild discomfort. It's quite a wide range.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather: Re: Lower abdominal pain or discomfort - it's quite a spectrum new
      #372367 - 08/10/15 10:50 AM
aaliya

If I don't have spasms/pain (just constipation, bloating, gas), do I still need to eat soluble fiber first, limit my amount of insoluble fiber, etc? Or is that just to cushion the colon to prevent attacks?

Re: Heather: Re: Lower abdominal pain or discomfort - it's quite a spectrum new
      #372368 - 08/10/15 11:09 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yes, still a good idea - soluble fiber is what will resolve and then prevent both diarrhea and constipation. It regulates peristaltic contractions in the gut and normalizes water content in the bowel.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#372370 - 08/10/15 02:25 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Mine started out very mild and infrequent yeeeers ago;Now it would be everyday and sharp pain/plus feeling sickly, without ideas of managing it with emotions and hormone fluctuations messing it up. Still, can't do properly prepared beans, onions, brocolli (most sulfur things..), oats, wheat (replaced with white spelt) and some fruits even with all this in smaller amounts;Yet, I've dealt with it and altered how to eat., still have to take a prescription that is very drying, reducing saliva that you need to break down sugars with.

Edited by sgcray (08/16/15 11:33 PM)

#372371 - 08/10/15 07:08 PM
aaliya

Thank you i also purchased your peppermint pills today. My doctor told me I have very mild acid reflux, so do i still need to wait an hour before taking the pills or can i take them 15 minutes before a meal?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 465 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7846

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review