All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Are Lactose-Free products safe??
      #372288 - 07/31/15 05:56 PM
aaliya

Reged: 07/03/15

Since dairy is a trigger, are lactose free products safe? for example, Go Veggie cheese is lactose free. is it safe?
Ingredients:
Water, Casein* (milk protein), Canola Oil, Sodium Phosphate, Enzyme-modified Cheese* (milk, cream, salt, natural flavor, enzymes, mono and diglycerides, sodium citrate, sodium phosphate, cheese culture),contains 2% Or Less Of Calcium Phosphate, Organic Rice Flour, Rice Starch, Lactic Acid (non-dairy), Sea Salt, Carrageenan, Sorbic Acid (preservative), Organic Soy Flour, Carotenal (color), Natural Flavor, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Ferric Orthophosphate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12. *Adds a trivial amount of cholesterol.

What about products with small amounts of dairy in them. Are they safe or should they be completely avoided as well?
I know drinking a whole glass of milk may trigger symptoms, but what about foods with small amounts of dairy in them?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are Lactose-Free products safe?? new
      #372289 - 07/31/15 06:50 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Quote:

Since dairy is a trigger, are lactose free products safe? for example, Go Veggie cheese is lactose free. is it safe?
Ingredients:
Water, Casein* (milk protein), Canola Oil, Sodium Phosphate, Enzyme-modified Cheese* (milk, cream, salt, natural flavor, enzymes, mono and diglycerides, sodium citrate, sodium phosphate, cheese culture),contains 2% Or Less Of Calcium Phosphate, Organic Rice Flour, Rice Starch, Lactic Acid (non-dairy), Sea Salt, Carrageenan, Sorbic Acid (preservative), Organic Soy Flour, Carotenal (color), Natural Flavor, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Ferric Orthophosphate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12. *Adds a trivial amount of cholesterol.

What about products with small amounts of dairy in them. Are they safe or should they be completely avoided as well?

I know drinking a whole glass of milk may trigger symptoms, but what about foods with small amounts of dairy in them?

>AVOID UNTIL TESTED OUT THE DIET LONGER and have had NO SPASMING;There are plenty of things available now with no dairy you might find after shopping longer term on this diet.
>NO DAIRY as we have mentioned due to its casein protein too, even though lactose and fat free. There is soy flour in this alternative "some" are sensitive to, soy protein only is better. Carrageenan is a trigger for ibs in a lot of literature. DAIYA shredded cheddar in particular, barring the ingredients change, is really good at Sprouts and now at the larger Fry's stores!

Re: Are Lactose-Free products safe?? new
      #372303 - 08/02/15 07:58 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Many people with IBS can tolerate lactose-free products

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Are Lactose-Free products safe??- For Syl new
      #372310 - 08/02/15 01:40 PM
aaliya

Some lactose-free products have Casein in them which is a milk protein. Are they still safe to consume?

What do you think about Whey protein isolate?

I also found these vegan protein powders. Do they look safe to you?

Sunwarrior Raw Protein:
Proprietary Protein Blend (Raw Organic Pea Protein, Raw Cranberry Protein, Raw Organic Hemp Seed Protein), Organic Dutch Cacao, Organic Chocolate Extract, Organic Vanilla Extract, Stevia, Natural Cherry Extract, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Ancient Sea Salt, Herbal (Tea Leaf) Extract, Natural Fibers (Fenugreek, Konjac), Natural Citrus Extract.

Naturade Pea Protein:
Pea Protein Isolate, Fructose, Sunower Oil, Inulin Fiber (CHICORY), Natural Flavors, Xylitol, Erythritol, Maltodextrin, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Phosphate, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Stevia Leaf Extract.

#372315 - 08/03/15 02:16 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

From a FODMAP perspective they are safe. However, after you have tried lactose free dairy and if you find it is still a problem then eliminate all dairy and see how it goes.

I won't take any protein supplement. It is always best to get protein from natural sources. Egg white omelette contains loads of protein or small can of tuna

Naturade Pea Protein - has fructose & inulin- so is high FODMAP - both would be a problem for me

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#372318 - 08/03/15 03:45 PM
aaliya

Yes, I figured the Pea Protein wouldn't be safe because of the ingredients. Does the Sunwarrior protein I mentioned look safe to you?

What about this one? Veggie Elite protein powder:
Pea protein concentrate, organic brown rice protein concentrate, natural chocolate mocha flavor, TreLEAFia (stevia leaf extract, trehalose, and monk fruit extract), gum blend (konjac gum, guar gum, and tara gum), salt, and Digest-ALL VP (a vegan enzyme blend).

Thank you!!

No - it's the dairy, not just the lactose in the dairy - new
      #372319 - 08/05/15 09:55 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

check here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#dairy for more details.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: No - it's the dairy, not just the lactose in the dairy - new
      #372321 - 08/05/15 12:36 PM
aaliya

Thanks Heather! what do you think about these vegan protein powders? do either look safe to you?

Veggie Elite protein powder:
Pea protein concentrate, organic brown rice protein concentrate, natural chocolate mocha flavor, TreLEAFia (stevia leaf extract, trehalose, and monk fruit extract), gum blend (konjac gum, guar gum, and tara gum), salt, and Digest-ALL VP (a vegan enzyme blend).

Sunwarrior Raw protein blend:
Proprietary protein blend (raw organic pea protein, raw cranberry protein, raw organic hemp seed protein ), organic dutch cacao, organic chocolate extract, organic vanilla extract, stevia, natural cherry extract, medium chain triglycerides, ancient sea salt, herbal (tea leaf) extract, natural fibers (fenugreek, konjac), natural citrus extract

Btw, I have heard a lot about food combining (combining fruit+other foods) causes the fruit to ferment and causes digestive discomfort. I have also heard to only eat fruit in the morning on an empty stomach and not again after eating any other food. Do you think any of these food theories make sense to you?

#372324 - 08/05/15 07:48 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Liquid eggwhite is in the books.

#372326 - 08/06/15 10:41 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the pea protein might cause a lot of bloating and gas. You'd have to try a small amount daily and see how you do. If you tolerate soy you can get vegan soy protein powders - I've had good luck with those. Again, try small amounts and see how you do.

The food combining thing is from the 70s and doesn't make any sense to me. Fruit on an empty stomach is a bad idea for IBS unless it's bananas - the insoluble fiber is high, and there could be too much fructose. Much better to chop/cook/blend fruit to break down the insoluble fiber, and have with soluble fiber foods to keep your gut calm.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 982 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13789

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review