All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS after gut insult
      #372115 - 05/13/15 04:07 AM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

I just read Heather's newsletter of today talking about how IBS can result from an insult to the gut such as surgery. I am wondering how long after the "insult" this reaction could occur? About 14 years ago I had my first (routine) colonoscopy during which I felt a sharp pain when the medical student who was assisting "turned a corner," as they explained, in my intestines. 2 months later, the IBS began. I have always wondered if that caused it, but is 2 months too long for it to be the case? Unless the symptoms built gradually? I am wondering, Heather, if you or others have any information or experience of that.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS after gut insult new
      #372116 - 05/13/15 10:28 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Linda - love your new pic!

From the research I've seen, IBS seems to happen right away after an insult to the gut. Sometimes the symptoms are originally from the trauma itself (food poisoning, rough colonoscopy, etc.) but then the insult resolves - infection is resolved, surgery recovered from, etc. - but the symptoms continue, because they're now due to the enteric nervous system continuing to behave dysfunctionally.

Were you touchy in between the colonoscopy and the onset of real trouble two months later? Did anything else happen around the two month point, that maybe exacerbated a hypersensitivity that was coming into play already from the colonoscopy?

I'm guessing here, and I haven't heard from anyone who had something just like this happen. But I certainly would not discount the possibility.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: IBS after gut insult new
      #372118 - 05/14/15 03:46 AM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

Thanks, Heather. Wish I could recall that time more clearly. I guess I will never know for sure what started it.

And thanks for the help with the photo. AND for all your help over the past 12 years: I don't know what I would have done without it. I so appreciate your dedication to understanding IBS, and disseminating that knowledge.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 875 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2129

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review