All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gluten and ibs
      #372022 - 04/22/15 01:16 AM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Can someone explain to me how gluten works for ibs?
I noticed when I eat pasta with gluten I have to go to the toilet very soon every time... when I eat pasta without gluten everything seems fine. I tried eating without gluten for a few weeks and my problems seemed to be less.

So I got a bloodtest after eating gluten for a while again to check on gluten intolerance but that seems fine. No gluten intollerance Ofcorse that is great but I feel so bloated, lots of gas and so tired every time.

Saskia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gluten and ibs new
      #372027 - 04/22/15 04:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Sassie - how long were you eating gluten before you got the test? You really need a good 4-6 weeks of daily gluten intake to make sure you don't get a false negative.

If you think gluten is bothering you, definitely trust your gut and go gluten free. But get some help with this, as if you actually have celiac (gluten intolerance, and actually an autoimmune disorder) then gluten intake can physically harm you in some very, very serious ways. So you'd want to be scrupulous about avoiding all gluten, which isn't always a simple thing to do.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Gluten and ibs new
      #372029 - 04/22/15 10:27 PM
Sassie

Hi Heather, I ate about 5 weeks gluten again.
I am not sure if it is just the ibs or something else. I have to confess I ate the wrong bread again, just because it makes you less hungry then the white bread. But we thought it was very strange I react on the plain simple pasta so much and not if I ate glutenfree pasta.

First I start with your diet and than more strict because if it goes well with me, I just slowly think less about the wrong or right foods and stop thinking much about fodmaps or ibs eating.. I just seem to love all the food..

Saskia

It isn't gluten - it is a carb found in wheat, rye and barley called a FODMAP new
      #372030 - 04/23/15 04:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Gluten is not a proven IBS trigger. However, a carbohydrate found in wheat, rye and barely (the same grains that contain gluten) called a fructan - a high FODMAP - has proven to be an IBS trigger. Here is an article that explains this clearly

Sensitive To Gluten? A Carb In Wheat May Be The Real Culprit

And for an overview article on the clinically proven FODMAP elimination/re-introduction diet shown to reduce symptoms 70-80% in IBS suffers here is an article written by Kate Scarlata - a dietitian with IBS

FODMAP: A road map to IBS page

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: It isn't gluten - it is a carb found in wheat, rye and barley called a FODMAP new
      #372032 - 04/23/15 05:35 AM
Sassie

Thanks Syl, again the fodmaps.
I will go to a dietician soon. I cannot keep the diet very strict, I find an excuse to delay it every time..

Perhaps it helps if someone helps me with that.

Saskia

Re: Gluten and ibs -3rd of june fodmap new
      #372044 - 04/26/15 01:59 AM
Sassie

I made an oppointment with a dietician on the 3rd of june for the fodmap. That is when I will start with the diet. It's that late because of our holiday. Seems the best to start when you have a long time no special things to do.
Looking forward to it.

Good luck and keep us posted about your progress -nt- new
      #372046 - 04/26/15 04:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Good luck and keep us posted about your progress -nt- new
      #372047 - 04/26/15 11:18 AM
Sassie

Thanks, I will.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1128 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5824

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review