All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
acacia fiber
      #371872 - 02/03/15 04:50 PM
giselle7

Reged: 02/03/15

I recently started using acacia fiber for help with constipation. I started with 1/2 tsp twice a day but was not seeing results. I increased to 3/4 tsp and had an extremely large BM but I feel very bloated and my clothes feel very tight as well. Is this normal? I was diagnosed with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and treated with several rounds of rifaximin a few months ago. Some feel acacia fiber is contraindicated in SIBO due to it is fermentable. Not sure what to do...I follow a strict grain, starch, gluten and dairy free diet.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: acacia fiber new
      #371873 - 02/03/15 06:18 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

I've done methylcellulose fiber caplets which is not fermentable-(per Citrucel name brand's website), that are the cheaper Walmart Equate brand;I didn't have the gas irritation from I guess the acacia fiber prebiotic feeding my probiotic causing the "initial die off." They never said anything about sibo (newer term?) 14 yrs ago, but did see some inflammation in the illium at the end of the small intestine. Don't have to build up as slowly as acacia.

#371874 - 02/04/15 12:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - 3/4 tsp isn't likely to do much for you, it's still a very low dose that will just get your gut used to more fiber. In general, constipation takes about 2-5 tablespoons total per day to resolve, but you are right to start with just 1/2 teaspoon twice daily. You start low, increase gradually, and keep gradually increasing until constipation resolves.

If you feel bloated, increase your dose more slowly and gradually.

The prebiotic effect should help with SIBO, as it will naturally encourage the growth of healthy gut bacteria, which in turn keeps the bad bacteria in check.

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#371875 - 02/04/15 02:57 PM
giselle7

Thanks Heather for the response. At 3/4 of a teaspoon I am having loose stools in the am and feeling gassy for several hrs after . Do you think it is best to go back down? Thanks for clearing up the SIBO question. I was concerned as acacia is not allowed on the SCD diet which is the one recommended for SIBO.

#371876 - 02/05/15 03:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The clinically proven low FODMAP diet is recommneded for SIBO as there is research to support it. There is no research to support the SCD diet for SIBO. Acacia is a low FODMAP fiber supplement and should be fine under the low FODMAP diet.

Kate Scarlata - a dietitian with IBS - has written an excellent overview article on the FODMAP diet

http://static.squarespace.com/static/53ced146e4b0ffc87f7fe427/t/53d7bdc9e4b0aeb5a416aaac/1406647753584/media-fodmap-road-map-for-ibs-living-without.pdf

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Thanks Syl - Acacia is actually naturally FODMAPS free, not just low FODMAPS - nt - new
      #371879 - 02/06/15 01:05 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#371880 - 02/06/15 07:13 PM
giselle7

I am really concerned as my weight has shot up over the last few days! I have loose stools in the am and feel gassy and crampy at times. I am 10pounds heavier than I was at the beginning of the week! Help!

#371882 - 02/07/15 06:14 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Loose stools (watery?) in am and yet gained 10 lbs in just 3 days? Scale off? For the gas which has caused me irritation and then diarrhea, are you too drinking the fennel and or peppermint teas or taking the peppermint caps if have heartburn and can't do the peppermint tea?

Edited by sgcray (02/09/15 05:33 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 852 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6391

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review