All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Konsyl to Acacia
      #371538 - 10/18/14 09:43 AM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

How long would your body take to adjust to the switch over from 1T @ day of Konsyl to Acacia? I am now taking 4T's of Heather's Acacia,but am not having an easy BM. I have IBS-C. Thank you in advance for any help!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Konsyl to Acacia new
      #371551 - 10/20/14 04:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - normally when you switch from one type of fiber supplement to another you drop to a slightly lower dose (in grams, not volume, as you need to compare apples to apples). Then gradually increase your new fiber till you stabilize.

Did you jump from 1 T of Konsyl to 4 T of the Tummy Fiber?

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#371552 - 10/20/14 07:45 PM
linisue54

Yes.I am actually taking 5Tof acacia

#371554 - 10/21/14 04:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - how long did you take to work up to that dose? If you jumped too quickly you might want to drop way down (to 2 T per day), stay there for 3-5 days, then start to gradually increase by adding an extra 1/2 teaspoon to one of your two daily doses, every 3-4 days.

5 Tablespoons is the max daily dose - typically only needed by people with severe, chronic constipation. It's okay if that is what you need, but it alarms me that you jumped up from 1 T Konsyl to 5 T Acacia and have constipation. Something is not right - I'm trying to pinpoint what, exactly.

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#371555 - 10/22/14 08:16 PM
linisue54

Hi its been 10 days now that I switched over. I was worried because I have diverticulitis and don't want to have another attack. I started the acacia with 3T and grad to 5T. I am having BM's but not as easy. Its a different urge.That's the only way I can describe it. BUT I don't have the bloating like with the other fiber. I was thinking of going on align probiotic.Maybe that would help me too. I want to thank you for your time and for helping me with the whole diet.I have changed my whole way of eating for 6yrs since I found your site. Thank you again. There is a special place in heaven waiting for you!!!!!!!!!xoxo

#371556 - 10/23/14 03:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Aw, thank you!

My guess is that you just increased your fiber too much, too quickly. The Tummy Fiber has 6 grams soluble fiber per 1 tablespoon. From what I can tell, Konsyl (which is psyllium) has 5 grams fiber (mix of soluble and insoluble) per 1 tablespoon.

So if you went up to 4 T of Tummy Fiber in 10 days you drastically increased your fiber, and very rapidly. Fiber is literally indigestible, so your gut has to get used to increases more gradually than that.

I'd drop down to 2 T per day (1T am, 1T pm) and stay there at least 5 days. Then gradually increase one dose by an extra 1/2 teaspoon every 4 days or so. Alternate the dose you increase, and just go slow and steady.

You may eventually end up on 4-5T per day, but if you resolve at a lower dose stay there.

Keep me posted!

You are also always welcome to email us directly at Help @ HelpForIBS.com - that might get a faster response than the message boards.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------

#371557 - 10/23/14 07:43 PM
linisue54

Thanks Heather!!!Be well!!xoxo

Re: Konsyl to Acacia/YEAH!! new
      #371564 - 10/24/14 10:47 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

YEAH,!!;and hoping the BMs get easier as stabilizing.
I'm on my 4th week of Align probiotic B. Infantis..don't think it caused additional gas taken as instructed, always and only 1/day.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1071 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4491

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review