Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Not enough calcium
      #371535 - 10/16/14 09:50 AM
DL

Reged: 02/02/09
Loc: Virginia, USA

Hi Everyone,
Sorry to post a question that may have been covered but I searched the boards and couldn't find anything helpful. I do not consume anything with dairy, and haven't for about 5 years. That wasn't really a big deal until recently, when the calcium tablets I had been taking changed their formula and added sucralose, which I cannot tolerate. I can't imagine why on earth they added an artificial sweetener to chewable calcium, but they did. So I haven't been taking anything for about three months. Can anyone recommend a good calcium supplement that does not tend to cause problems with IBS-D? The magnesium is a problem sometimes, and if I understand correctly, we want a 2:1 calcium.magnesium ratio correct? I saw that Rainbow Light has a food based calcium supp, has anyone tried it? Muscle spasms are a big problem for me, so I know I really need to get back on the calcium with some magnesium and would truly appreciate any help you all might be able to provide. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Diane

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Not enough calcium new
      #371536 - 10/17/14 05:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - for diarrhea, calcium carbonate will be the safest, as it doesn't have any added magnesium, which can be a laxative. If you want a cal/mag combo stick with the ones that come as a combination, as that will be the safest ratio. Too much magnesium can affect your heart rhythms.

I don't have any particular brands to recommend, just keep reading ingredients as you have been to find ones without the unnecessary additives or sweeteners. iHerb.com online is a good source for tons of brands and they give full product info, reviews, etc. I find they have lots more than most of my local stores.

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Not enough calcium new
      #371550 - 10/20/14 03:40 PM
DL

Reged: 02/02/09
Loc: Virginia, USA

Thank you very much Heather. I found one at Whole Foods from Rainbow Light that is a food-based calcium tab with magnesium and Vit D3 that "says" it supports bone density and muscle relaxation among other things, and it's supposed to be gentle on the stomach. I am reluctant to try anything new because I don't want to be out and about when I discover something doesn't agree with me, but I've got to take something. My doctor recommended the magnesium because I get muscle spasms in my back pretty often due to an injury. In fact she wanted me to try magnesium on it's own, but I told her I couldn't really do that because I knew it could be a bad idea with the IBS. The truth is, there are probably a lot of nutrients I am not getting, because I am afraid to try things that may be problematic. If I can get this figured out successfully, maybe I can venture into a multivitamin. Thanks again, Diane

Re: Not enough calcium/Vitamin Spray new
      #371562 - 10/24/14 10:21 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

May I recommend something I just posted? For the multi- vite, a sublingual spray "Cellfood" brand. Shouldn't cause a problem I hope

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1543 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2704

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review