All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Almond milk question
      #371516 - 10/05/14 08:07 AM
Joiha

Reged: 10/05/14

I know that nuts need to be limited on the IBS diet, but what about almond milk. Is it considered a trigger or would it be safe for me to switch to that instead of soymilk?
We recently discovered that my daughter, who also has IBS, is allergic to soy. Neither of us have liked any of the brands of rice milk that we have tried.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Milk Alternatives new
      #371518 - 10/05/14 03:15 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

We're suppose to try Beano or another similar brand enzyme out there for bean products' raffinose sugar content. Sometimes it's the amount or type of fiber in these crazy alt. milks that cause alot of gas and bloating. If she can handle tofu "protein" without fiber like in some Mori-nu versions..to use in the luscious non-dairy desserts...There is less than 1g fiber in this soymilk that tastes good http://www.westsoymilk.com/products/low-fat/low-fat-vanilla/ shows no cane sugar. Most almond alt. milks contain carragenan, which I would not recommend as a big time trigger of IBS, or add cane sugar. Ricedream versions don't have any fiber that I've seen, tastes good without added sweetener imho. If too thin problem, add to aseptic pkg. xanthan that really thickens without adding countable fiber and much less gas problem than other fibers, I tested it. Still, zip on the protein though like almond milk;but, almond CAN be made in a blender without cooking..straining is the major part and have to sweeten maybe and add own calcium and protein to your diet to make up for that part. LOTS of effort. There's anti-inflammitory flax oil milk now with Protein+ version:(0 countable fiber even though includes sometimes problematic guar);Has sugar, unless you do the unsweetened: http://www.goodkarmafoods.com/why_flax/ The soy and the flax versions mentioned rule in the protein dept. as well as other aspects entirely, including better calcium used http://www.life-enhancement.com/magazine/article/249-the-best-calcium Soymilk also has a little magnesium. How's that..helps I hope. PS...good bacteria like fiber need to be built up slowly too, to help food go through digestion without so much gas and bloating.

Edited by sgcray (10/05/14 06:32 PM)

Re: Milk new
      #371519 - 10/05/14 05:31 PM
Mommyto5

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: Massachusetts

I appreciate the reply but she cannot tolerate any soy whatsoever. It is a true, full fledged allergy. We have to avoid it even in baked goods and such.

Re: Milk new
      #371520 - 10/05/14 06:24 PM
sgcray

Joiha?

Edited by sgcray (10/05/14 06:38 PM)

Should be just fine... new
      #371523 - 10/07/14 02:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

in general any of the non-dairy milks are fine for IBS. If you can't do soy and don't like the rice versions, try the almond, or oat or hemp milks. Only one to watch out for is coconut milk, which can be sky high in fat.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re:Newbie new
      #371526 - 10/08/14 09:07 AM
toold

Reged: 10/08/14

Not sure where to start. In April The fulness started, then came abd pain sometimes in the back and a 70 lb weightloss. After months of testing at the university, its IBS they say. Just needing confirmation this is what it is like. The fullness and bloating is constant, sometimes with the burning. Never a day free of pain and tears, if any more weight lost, the doc will place a feeding tube again..Does anything help? Peppermint doesnt, the meds for IBSC doesnt. don't know where to go..does it ever get better? I read it is usually a younger onset, I am 58. Anyone out there like me.only foods seem to be bananas

You have many red flags... new
      #371527 - 10/08/14 03:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Check here http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/ibs.asp for an overview of IBS, what your symptoms should be, and what needs to be ruled out.

Your symptoms don't match IBS. Onset after age 40 or so is a red flag as it is unusual. The dramatic weight loss is a huge red flag.

Please ask your docs why they are giving you an IBS diagnosis when your symptoms do not fit the Rome Criteria, when you have such weight loss, etc. Double check they have tested you for celiac, ovarian cancer, carcinoid cancer, and upper GI issues like gallbladder.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope you have some answers soon.

You can go ahead and try fennel tea for the bloating - it won't hurt if it's not from IBS, and it might hopefully make you feel better. There is more help for bloating here too http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/bloating.asp

Please keep us posted.

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Milk Alternatives/Westsoy lowfat vanilla new
      #371529 - 10/10/14 01:35 PM
sgcray

Was wondering why their website showed this as sweetened with rice and barley malt..Mine at home shows sugar;They said they haven't updated their website..Geez

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4680

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review