All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS/ constipation
      #371458 - 09/13/14 02:55 PM
HA58

Reged: 09/13/14

I have been taking the powder for weeks. I have always had severe and chronic constipation. I have been taking 5 tbsp a day for about a week now and still have not been to the bathroom. I am not cramping, am bloated some, but following the diet. Any ideas why and how long should I keep taking the powder without going. I do take pain medications which don't help. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS/ constipation new
      #371460 - 09/14/14 01:29 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Hi, You had been taking acacia for weeks before so had a BM before hitting 5T? You said you're taking pain med. that doesn't help, yet your not cramping (which is good), but bloating some. Maybe go back to previous week worth of acacia? Get at least 8-maybe even 10 of 8 oz glasses of purified/non-chlorinated water with trace minerals added for sure with probios too if aren't, like acidophillus and bifidus (no prebiotic ingredients like inulin/chickory root or FOS etc.) definately and do gentle exercises if not already. Hoping the Very Best to you P.S. Magnesium helps with const. Too much calcium (especially carbonate) can cause constipation as well as too much protein. Hopefully you're eating enough insoluble fiber mechanically broken down foods on this diet to move things along.

Edited by sgcray (09/14/14 01:41 PM)

Re: IBS/ constipation new
      #371461 - 09/15/14 04:18 AM
HA58

Reged: 09/13/14

No I have not had a bowel movement since I started taking it. I have been taking 5 tbsp. a day for a week now. My concern is the acacia fiber would not block me up or anything. There is no reason for me to stop taking it? I am sorry for the mix up. I do drink a lot of water and have been following the diet. As long as it isn't going to hurt anything, I am definitely going to keep taking it. Thanks so much for replying.

Re: IBS/ constipation/HEATHER? new
      #371463 - 09/15/14 07:36 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Hi again!
If you've reached 5T and are still not going after soo long of time, I'd get back to your doctor. I know that SOME pain medications can constipate? Really hoping things get moving for you.

Edited by sgcray (09/15/14 07:47 PM)

Re: IBS/ constipation/HEATHER? new
      #371470 - 09/16/14 10:08 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yes - most, if not all, pain medications can cause or worsen constipation. The opioid meds are notorious for that. Call your doc and ask if you need to come for a visit. No bowel movement for a week isn't normal.

The acacia can't cause constipation or a blockage (insoluble fiber could cause a blockage, soluble fiber can't). But it sounds like something is going on here that needs to be addressed.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2900 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2980

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review