All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sometimes it takes a success story?
      #371342 - 08/12/14 09:01 PM
ianheart

Reged: 08/12/14

I'm hoping my story here will keep others in good spirits.

8 years ago, in the middle of college, I was diagnosed with IBS. The doctor said it was "probably related to the stress of school" - I had IBS-D, and that's how life was. "Avoid spicy and fatty foods" was about the only advice I got. Things were not too bad at first, but every time I insulted my gut, it got worse and worse and worse. I considered dropping out...but I stuck it out, eating nothing but rice (and white rice/sugar rice cakes I got from a local asian grocery store) for weeks on end. I turned super antisocial. It's not an exaggeration to say that Heather's website was the only thing keeping me alive - without her advice, I really had no idea what to eat.

I hit rock bottom when I was 105 pounds (I'm a 5'9" male). When I graduated, I had no idea what to do for work, so I worked as a tutor (I wouldn't eat for hours before tutoring to avoid an incident). Reading things here helped me slowly recover...slowly and slowly, things got better, so that I at least could eat chicken, egg whites, soy yogurt, a lot of the safer stuff. I never posted though...sorry to say, I was too embarrassed.

I got lots of bad advice from Doctors until I found a good one. He saw I was a young guy whose life wasn't really being lived, so he insisted with my extra time, I really give antispasmodics a shot. I had tried them before, and the side effects were terrible, and it seemed ineffective. He insisted though, that I stick out - that the side effects would lessen, and that the effectiveness would continue. It was dicyclomine (Bentyl) and I had no success for 4 months; 4 months of splitting headaches and not much effect, but still he insisted.
Month 5, things started getting a lot better. Following Heather's advice, I finally felt like I could slowly build up eating real fiber. I had to take 2 bentyl a day, but I built up slowly...I went from 1/2 teaspoon of Heather's tummy fiber a day to 1 tablespoon a day.

It took a lot of time, but I was inspired to post tonight for a specific reason. 3 years after I started dicyclomine, I now take it only twice a month, down from twice a day. I just made myself a lentil stew (yes, a lentil stew, with lots of lentils and veggies - blended the lentils first, of course) and I'm in graduate school. Eating it with barley (barley! I never would have guessed it 6 years ago). It was a combination of so much work, so many little steps, but I have Heather to thank for it. So for those of you fighting, who can't see a light at the end of the tunnel, I hope there's some inspiration to be found here, some kernel of advice in not giving up. It's not perfect, I don't feel well 100% of the time, but I feel like my life is back on track.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Congratulations! And thank you for sharing this... new
      #371344 - 08/13/14 12:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There are a lot more people viewing the boards every day than there are posting on the boards. It can be hard on the message boards to see the successes, because people do just post with questions and problems. It's so great to hear the other side of the story here.

And you should be so proud!

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Congratulations! And thank you for sharing this... new
      #371345 - 08/13/14 07:01 PM
ianheart

Reged: 08/12/14

Thanks, Heather! I've even been able to help a few others by pointing them to this site. The hardest part about the diet is discipline (something that of course, comes easier when you had a severe case), but they fare better than they did before they got this good information.

Thanks for that! -nt- new
      #371348 - 08/15/14 11:17 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1896 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review