All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
using all herbs together - good or not?
      #371289 - 07/23/14 11:19 AM
Kevingibbs

Reged: 07/23/14

Hi everyone... just been diagnosed with IBS (It's bulls...)

Now, I've read the stuff about herbs helping. But taking oreagno, ginger, fennel, anise, peppermint, caraway, chamomile teas SEPARATELY throughout the day is a helluva hustle.

So, can I combine any of those?

Oh, and is it better to take the peppermint as a tea or as capsules? How about ginger - tea, cooked or raw?

Furthermore, how exactly should you brew these teas?

Thanks a bunch!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yes, you can combine as you wish new
      #371290 - 07/24/14 11:08 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and mix a dry blend of all the herbs you mentioned, then brew 1-2 tablespoons at a time to make a strong cup of tea. The stronger the better. Teas work best for quick relief, when you need help NOW.

Using the oils extracted from those herbs, in the form of peppermint, fennel, ginger oil capsules, will be better for a preventative. Oil capsules are stronger than teas, but you must take them on an empty stomach, and they have to reach your small intestines before they dissolve. So they work best taken in advance of symptoms (like before a meal, or last thing at night if you have problems in the morning).

Ginger will help as a tea, added grated raw to foods, or grated and then cooked into foods. Powdered ginger is likely not strong enough to have any benefits.

Brew the herbs for tea in a big loose tea strainer - bigger the better, as you want to use a generous amount of dried herbs.

Also, feel free to add other herbs/spices to get the flavor you want - just about all herbs and spices are digestive aids, so it's hard to go wrong here. Start with the foundation of herbs best for IBS symptoms, then add whatever else you want to suit your tastes (cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamom, etc. will make it taste like chai).

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Yes, you can combine as you wish new
      #371292 - 07/24/14 11:22 PM
Kevingibbs

Thanks Heather.

Just as a quick question to boot - are my stools ever going to be anywhere near normal anymore? Now they're yellow and fluffy/wet :/

#371293 - 07/25/14 09:35 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Kevingibbs,

I had that problem for a while back in the spring of 2008.

Eventually mine turned back to normal but I don't recall what I did to make this happen!

I DID start acupuncture that spring and by the late summer of 2008 I was almost back to normal!

I am saving up NOW for more acupuncture, since the gastro docs are COMPLETELY WORTHLESS, plus they have NO compassion!!

BEST to you! I am very sorry you are going through this!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#371294 - 07/25/14 09:56 AM
Kevingibbs

Thanks C.

Yea, well, I have free osteopathy from my gal, so I'm happy. Glad to hear you can get back to normal

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2734

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review