All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about fiber
      #371267 - 07/05/14 08:42 AM
Sandy0705

Reged: 07/05/14

I've been using Citrucel and it's been helping a lot. I just recently bought and started using the Acacia fiber because I figured - might as well get the prebiotic benefit, yes? So I've been using it for a couple of days now (at the same dosage as the Citrucel: 1 gram, 2 to 3 times day). My bowels have been looser; not diarrhea, but definitely looser than I'd like, with the accompanying cramping afterwards that is normal for me after looser bowel movements. My question is this: Should I increase the fiber, decrease it, or do I just need to wait to adjust the the new type of fiber?

Thanks so much for your help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about fiber new
      #371268 - 07/05/14 09:24 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Hi Sandy,

When you started the Citrucel, had you been on any fiber in the past 6 months or year?

It is ALWAYS wise to start with a very LOW dose of fiber when you are just starting to use it. Heather says this in her explanation of how to use the Acacia fiber.

How much of the Acacia fiber are you using and when did you start it?

Perhaps it would be BEST if you just used the Acacia until your body adjusts to using fiber.

I am sure Heather will chime in on this conversation!

For now, to avoid the loose stools, just skip the fiber for a few days and then re-introduce the Acacia at a low dosage.

I started out at 1/2 tsp. (baker's teaspoon for exact measuring).

Hope this HELPS!!

BEST of luck to you!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Did you start new
      #371269 - 07/07/14 01:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

with a dose of 1 gram of the Tummy Fiber, 2-3 times daily? So right off the bat you were taking 2-3 grams per day?

If yes, and that is the exact dose you were on with the Citrucel, it is odd that you'd notice changes at all. This is not a high dose, and normally people need to drop their dose a bit when switching to a different type of fiber, and then gradually increase so their gut gets used the changes slowly and steadily.

But you had a low daily dose to begin with, so I'm surprised you weren't able to just switch over at the same dose. But, IBS can make things very touchy and unpredictable, so err on the side of caution.

I'd drop your Tummy Fiber dose to just 1/2 teaspoon twice daily. That's 2 grams per day, total. Stay there for a bit.

Give that 3-4 days, then add an extra 1/2 teaspoon to one of your doses. Continue to gradually increase every 3-4 days.

If you're used to a fiber supplement, the general rule is to drop the dose a bit when switching to a different kind of fiber. But your total daily dose of 2-3 grams wasn't that much higher than the general starting dose of a fiber supplement.

But, sometimes people are just very sensitive, and have to start with 1/4 teaspoon at a time. That is okay - best to make gradual steady changes.

Please keep me posted!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1004 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1827

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review