All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
SIBO and IBS
      #371192 - 05/20/14 05:37 AM
MareS

Reged: 05/20/14

Hello,
I am new and an desperate to find some help. My doctor has diagnosed me as having SIBO and IBS and to top it all off I have a gallbladder that is only functioning at 8%. At times I am quite miserable. After much thought I am going to have the gallbladder removed next month. After reading the information on the site yesterday, I ate a sweet potato without butter and felt a little better last night. I mostly have IBS-C but once in awhile I can have IBS-D. Does anyone else have these problems and has it been helped with this type of diet? Thank you for your help. This is such a different way to eat for me but I am willing to do anything. I have gained 15 unwanted pounds in the last year since this stuff has gotten worse. I keep eating things to make myself feel better. I should have tried a sweet potato a long long time ago. Thanks for your help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SIBO and IBS new
      #371194 - 05/20/14 12:20 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Mare - if you've been diagnosed with SIBO your doc should be putting you through the antibiotics course to deal with that.

Be careful with gallbladder removal - it can cause chronic diarrhea from bile acid malabsorption.

Try the breaking the cycle diet for a few days (more of those sweet potatoes!) and see how you do - http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#break_cycle

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#371195 - 05/20/14 03:21 PM
MareS

Reged: 05/20/14

Thank you for answering me Heather. Yes I have had the antibiotics twice now. He wants me to try the Fodmap diet to see if we can keep this from happening again but some of those foods irritate me, too. Want to try the starch instead of the meats and veg. I shall look at the link you provided. I have also ordered the recipe book and the Tummy Fiber from amazon. Should be here tomorrow. Again, thank you.

Keep us posted! new
      #371196 - 05/20/14 05:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: SIBO, IBS and the FODMAP diet new
      #371197 - 05/21/14 04:10 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Treating SIBO with antibiotics has not been shown to be particularly effect as repeated courses of antibiotics are usually required but even then it usually comes back.

The FODMAP diet has proven to be quite effective for managing SIBO. I use the FODMAP approach along with Heather's Eating for IBS diet and it works quite well.

Since you were diagnosed with SIBO then presumably you have IBS-D. Like you I find that many low FODMAP fruits and veggies still cause problems primarily from their high insoluble fiber content. If you buy one of the following books by Dr. Sue Shepherd and Dr. Peter Gibson - the developers of the FODMAP diet - you will see they explain how to deal with fiber and other common IBS trigger foods too beside high FODMAP foods.

The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing IBS and Other Digestive Disorders

Food Intolerance Management Plan

Also, if you need guidance with the FODMAP approach it is useful to find a dietitian in your area trained in the FODMAP approach. You might ask you doctor for a referral. Also there is a Facebook group the "IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) Support Group". Many people in that group use the FODMAP approach successfully and some of them have been diagnosed with SIBO too.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Edited by Syl (05/21/14 04:17 AM)

#371198 - 05/21/14 09:22 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

What is SIBO?

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth new
      #371199 - 05/21/14 12:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Re: Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth new
      #371200 - 05/22/14 10:25 AM
Candy07

What is the cause of this? Can it be helped by taking a good probiotic?

What percentage of us IBSers have this condition?

THANKS MUCH!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#371203 - 05/22/14 05:51 PM
Syl

The cause is unknown. Less than 3% of IBS suffers have SIBO. It is treated with antibiotics but usual IBS symptoms return require on-going courses of antibiotics which is risky. Lately it has been shown that it can be controlled with a low FODMAP diet.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#371228 - 06/10/14 06:21 AM
langley123

Reged: 01/22/12

I have both IBS/C and SIBO. The problem I am having is that the recommended SIBO diet is very low in soluble fiber and when I go on it my GI spasms and constipation get worse due to low soluble fiber in my GI track. I cannot take Acacia because it feeds the SIBO. I have been trying to get rid of the SIBO for years and am going in circles. I do not want to take more antibiotics because it will just come back if I need to eat soluble fiber to keep my GI track stable. Any suggestions? The doctors don't seem to understand why I have a problem removing soluble fiber. they don't seem to understand the IBS need for soluble fiber. I feel pretty hopeless and like I will be sick for the rest of my life with SIBO. Any thoughts are welcome!

#371229 - 06/10/14 06:36 AM
Syl

Have you tried the clinically proven FODMAP elimination/re-introduction diet for managing IBS and SIBO? It has been shown to reduce symptoms significantly in 70-80% of individuals. Here is an article written by a dietician who has IBS/SIBO about the FODMAP diet. She use it to control her SIBO

FODMAP: road map for IBS

Also check the links in my signature for more information

--------------------

#371231 - 06/10/14 10:48 AM
Candy07

What CAUSES SIBO??

--------------------

#371233 - 06/11/14 04:12 AM
langley123

Hi Syl,
Thanks for your reply. I do follow the FODMAP diet and I have not found that it helps the constipation, probably because I have SIBO. It does keep the spasms and bloating down. For SIBO, The FODMAP diet is generally not considered strict enough to keep the bad bacteria in the small intestine down. The SCD or GAPS diet is usually recommended, yet they are so low in soluble fiber that I have a hard time folowing them because the lack of soluble fiber causes more IBS/C. It has been a vicious cycle I can't seem to get out of. I wonder if Heather has any suggestions for this?

#371234 - 06/11/14 04:15 AM
langley123

HI Candy,
SIBO is caused by a build up of bacteria in the small intestine. Generally the small intestine is not supposed to contain much bacteria. The cause can be multiple things --one of them being an underlying motility disorder. If you google, you will find tons of info.

#371235 - 06/11/14 04:16 AM
Syl

The Monash group warns that when on the FODMAP diet C may worsen unless one gets enough fiber. It is recommended to add things like ground flaxseed (linseed), oatmeal & rice bran (if tolerated) to the diet and perhaps take a soluble fiber supplement. They recommend 25-30 grams of fiber to day.

--------------------

#371238 - 06/11/14 02:33 PM
Candy07

Thank You!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1827 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9964

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review