All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vegetarians/vegans
      #371095 - 04/09/14 10:07 AM
reindeer

Reged: 08/22/11

A dear friend started having problems with walking and the ability to use her legs. After they did many tests, it is believed that she has mytochondria. Years of avoiding meat and not getting the proper amino acids for energy production could be a factor. They think that the damage is permanent. Just something to keep in mind if you are a vegetarian.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I seriously doubt it new
      #371096 - 04/09/14 11:55 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

She'd be getting plenty of amino acids and proteins from plant sources. All evidence, long term, worldwide, shows the more meat you eat the higher the risk of all sorts of diseases directly linked to that diet.

I'm sorry to hear the news about your friend. But the odds are overwhelming she's in better health today because she doesn't eat meat, not the other way around.

It's people who are NOT vegetarian/vegan who need to be worried about the long term health consequences of their diets.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I seriously doubt it new
      #371097 - 04/09/14 01:50 PM
reindeer

Reged: 08/22/11

She has been working with some of the best docs at one of the best research hospitals in the country so I am still waiting to hear of any definitive answers. One of the docs told her that this is something that does happen with people who are vegetarians most of their life.

Re: Vegetarians/vegans new
      #371098 - 04/09/14 04:13 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Something doesn't make sense. Mytochondria are organelles found in every cell except red blood cells of one's body. It converts the energy from food into ATP that can be used later.

Does she have mytochondrial disease? Vegetarian/vegan practice is unlikely to playa role in this disease

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I'd see a new doctor. new
      #371099 - 04/10/14 01:45 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1556 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2846

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review