All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Prebiotic question
      #371066 - 04/04/14 04:07 PM
ssr1

Reged: 03/11/14

Hi, hoping someone is familiar with these 2 ingredients---they are in a prebiotic my doc now wants me to take (since I nixed the one with inulin!:)) I am not sure this is much better, but am not familiar and cannot find much on the web so far: The name of the supplement (made by Klaire Labs...very well respected, sold through ProThera) is Galactomune. The two ingredients are Galactooligosaccharides and Beta Glucan. The maker says it is a good alternative to the inulin type fructans.
Thanks so much!! Would really appreciate any help on this!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Prebiotic question new
      #371068 - 04/04/14 04:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the galacto-oligosaccharides may well be a FODMAP like inulin/FOS. I'm not familiar with beta glucan.

What you want is a prebiotic that ferments slowly - NOT rapidly - in the gut. That's the question to ask the manufacturer. They should be able to tell you - if the prebiotic ferments slowly it will have a "good gastrointestinal tolerance" and they should have studies to back that up.

It's also nice if these are certified organic as you know they won't have pesticides, herbicides, GMOs, etc.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#371070 - 04/04/14 04:33 PM
ssr1

Thanks Heather...excellent thought to ask the manufacturer. I have, sadly, not done well with Acacia, so if this one is not slow like Acacia, I am really out of luck. I appreciate your input so much!

#371072 - 04/05/14 05:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Galactooligosaccharides contains galactans which like inulin is a high FODMAP ingredient know to worsen IBS symptoms in some people

Beta Glucan are made up of chains of glucose molecules and are used to reduce cholesterol. It is found in yeast, mushrooms, barley, etc. It is also used as a food additive. Some alternative medicine practitioners use as an immune system support even though there is (1) no evidence to support this idea and (2) IBS is not an immune system disorder

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#371073 - 04/05/14 05:08 AM
ssr1

Thanks so much, Syl! This is all good ammo to know...and I will talk to Klaire, also.

#371076 - 04/05/14 01:24 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might direct them to the general overview on FODMAPs

FODMAP: Road Map for IBS

Direct them to the definition box on bottom of page 2 where it says

Oligosaccharides – fructans and galacto-oligosaccharides

The later is what they are using and they say it does not contain the former. Very strange. It seems they don't know what a FODMAP is

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 895 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3388

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review