All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soluble/Insoluble fibre
      #371003 - 03/19/14 02:13 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

I've been rereading the soluble/insoluble fibre lists on this website and I think that perhaps some of the foods listed as SF should be on the IF list? For example, parsnips contain 4.5g of fibre per 100g, 2.8g of which is IF. I believe Quinoa is also a wholegrain. Any thoughts?

On that note; I couldn't see celeriac on either list. It is a root vegetable with 3g of fibre per 100g, 2 of which is IF.

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soluble/Insoluble fibre new
      #371004 - 03/19/14 07:25 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I agree.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Soluble/Insoluble fibre new
      #371005 - 03/19/14 08:49 AM
mradams1

On the topic of SF/IF. If rice is described as 'dehusked' does that mean that it is white rice? As I understand it, 'hulled' or 'unmilled' rice is wholegrain rice.

--------------------

Fiber charts are notoriously unreliable, and for IBS I think they're almost worthless new
      #371012 - 03/20/14 12:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It's far more helpful to go by the "smushy rule" - see here http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=284172&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

For parsnips, and all other root veggies, peel them and cook them well - till they're almost smushy.

Is celeriac the same thing as celery root? If yes then count as a root veggie - peel and cook it.

Milled or hulled rice sounds like rice that has had the bran (the outer brown layer, and the insoluble fiber) removed. If that's true it should be safe.

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Fiber charts are notoriously unreliable, and for IBS I think they're almost worthless new
      #371015 - 03/21/14 12:52 AM
mradams1

Thank-you Heather. I had read that post re fibre charts etc before but its good to refresh the memory. I understand your point about vegetables but can I suggest moving the whole-grains (polenta, quinoa) to the IF list?

Celeriac is celery root. It tastes like an earthy version of celery. I've had it roasted.

Yes, I contacted the manufacturer and hulled rice is white rice.

Thanks for your advice.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 641 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2863

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review