All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Prebiotics
      #370972 - 03/11/14 09:24 AM
ssr1

Reged: 03/11/14

I am new and have a question re. Acacia and other prebiotics: historically I have not done well on Acacia unfortunately...and now, due to a stool sample test, my doc wants to put me on a supplement with inulin and ogliofructose in it. I understand the purpose, but am pretty paranoid about it. Has anyone had good luck ramping up super gradually on prebiotics? Thanks so much!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Prebiotics new
      #370973 - 03/11/14 10:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Be very careful about products containing inulin and/or FOS. These are high FODMAP ingredients known to worsen IBS symptoms in many people. If you doctor has not heard about the clinically proven FODMAP dietary approach for managing IBS symptoms you might print off the second article in my signature and take it to the doctor. It discusses the problems with inulin and FOS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I'd avoid inulin and FOS at all costs - they can cause terrible bloating and gas new
      #370974 - 03/11/14 12:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

in people who don't even have IBS. Acacia is a prebiotic that ferments very slowly in the gut, so it has a "good gastrointestinal tolerance" and is unlikely to cause bloating and gas. Inulin and FOS ferment very rapidly in the gut, causing all kinds of GI upsets.

Ask your doc why on earth he would recommend inulin and FOS when they have these side effects - that really concerns me.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I'd avoid inulin and FOS at all costs - they can cause terrible bloating and gas new
      #370981 - 03/12/14 05:07 AM
ssr1

Reged: 03/11/14

Thank you Heather and Syl...agreed...just needed some reassurance I was assessing correctly. I will talk to doc and see what else can be done. And...sending back the supplement with those elements!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1698 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2121

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review