All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Misinformation re: soluble vs. insoluble fiber
      #370943 - 02/26/14 11:27 AM
Laurel M

Reged: 04/18/05
Loc: Texas

I just thought I'd pass along this article that talks about soluble vs. insoluble fiber, and the benefits of each one. I know there is so much misinformation out there about these two types of fibers, and this article pretty much sums it up. For example, it says: "Insoluble fiber attacts and holds water in the large bowel resulting in soft and bulky stools. It improves symptoms of constipation, hemorrhoids, diverticulosis, IBS, and other gastrointestinal disorders." WHAT??? That's not been my experience!

It also lists some high fiber foods, including fruits and vegetables, and says "the skins have soluble fiber, the insides insoluble." Again...WHAT??? This goes against everything we've been taught about IBS. No wonder more and more people suffer from it and don't get any relief if this is the kind of information they are fed (no pun intended). Here's the link for the article if anyone is interested: http://www.glutenfreeinsd.com/about_fiber.html.

I have seen many different Internet articles from relatively reliable sources that say insoluble fiber is the best thing to aid in digestion...why is it that the "experts" get it so wrong? Or am I missing something? It gets really frustrating, especially when trying to explain it to folks who then question why you can't eat certain foods.

This article must have used Web MD as its source, because I found very similiar verbiage on one of their articles about fiber: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/supplement-guide-fiber

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this huge misconception about soluble vs. insoluble fiber.

Edited by Laurel M (02/26/14 12:43 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sadly, I have a story that can top this... new
      #370944 - 02/26/14 01:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I once had a board certified gastroenterologist - recommended as the best in the city! - ask me if I "coined the phrase" soluble fiber. He'd literally never heard of it, and had no idea that there wasn't just "fiber" in foods.

He was a nice guy, but WTH???? Bad enough his IBS patients were getting a disservice, but what about the IBD patients who can get intestinal blockages and require surgery if they eat too much insoluble fiber?

Sad but true story.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

For normal people the advice is good. For individuals with IBS it is not .... new
      #370946 - 02/27/14 03:19 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The information on these web sites is 100% correct IF you don't have IBS. They were written for a normal person without a functional bowel disorder like IBS. They can usually handle a considerable amount of insoluble fiber.

What is annoying is visiting a web site that supposedly gives information for managing IBS symptoms that makes the recommendation to increase insoluble fiber consumption without warning that about 60% if individuals with IBS may experience a worsening.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1863 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review