All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HELP!
      #370856 - 02/04/14 12:36 PM
pain247

Reged: 02/04/14

I've been diagnosed with IBS by a GI. I've tried this diet for over 4 months and I have yet to see ANY reduction in symptoms. I've eliminated all possible trigger foods this book mentions and have yet to feel any better. I've even reached the point where I've eliminated all spicy foods. It's gotten to the point where I can't anything I enjoy anymore. I don't care for bread, and have always hated fish.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP! new
      #370857 - 02/04/14 02:18 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

After 17 years of suffering with various diets, meds, etc. I was very much like you - tons of pain and symptoms - nothing seemed to help. You may want to take a peek at what helped me and many IBS sufferers - or at least lightened pain and symptoms - the IBS Audio Program - look at my link below for more info. This method seems to help the vast majority of folks who use it- happy to ask any questions - take care.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Yup - great suggestion with fantastic research and results behind it. -nt- new
      #370858 - 02/04/14 05:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: HELP! new
      #370859 - 02/04/14 05:21 PM
pain247

I'll have to look into this. I need something to feel better and this diet doesn't seem to be working for me. Plus I don't find it very healthy that I'm not eating no fruits or vegetables because that could upset the ibs. I can't seem to get out of the "can't eat anything" stage. I'm starting to wonder if it's the bread though I've been tested for that and it came back negative.

Clinically proven diet for managing IBS symptoms new
      #370860 - 02/05/14 03:23 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There is a clinically proven FODMAP elimination/re-introduction dietary approach for managing IBS symptoms. It has been shown in clinical trials on IBS suffers that 70-80% of individuals experience a significant reduction in symptoms. Many of us it in conjunction with Heather's diet with good success.

This is a link to the main page of the group at Monash University in Australia that developed the FODMAP approach for managing functional GI symptoms

http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

See the About the FODMAP Diet page for a general overview

http://med.monash.edu.au/cecs/gastro/fodmap/about.html

The most reliable and up to date information is the phone app on the FODMAP approached designed by the Monash research group that developed the FODMAP dietary approach. It is updated annually. And 100% of the cost of the app goes to Monash IBS research and improvement of the FODMAP diet

http://med.monash.edu.au/cecs/gastro/fodmap/iphone-app.html

Here is a dietitian's explanation of the FODMAP approach for the general public

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

There are three more articles on the FODMAP approach in my signature. Ask lots of questions

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Clinically proven diet for managing IBS symptoms new
      #370863 - 02/08/14 03:13 PM
pain247

My GI actually recommended the fodmap thing and I've been seeing better resultants with it than I ever did with the EFI diet. Honestly some of the ideas in the EFI diet don't bode real with my body and never have even before I got sick. I always seem to do better in the morning with a mostly protein based meal with very little carbs. Just a small serving of grits, a biscuit, or slice of toast is all I can handle in the morning carbs wise otherwise I get really bad heartburn and cramps.

Thank you Syl! new
      #370920 - 02/20/14 02:16 AM
pain247

The Fodmap diet has done wonders for me. I've found I have no symptoms and for me the thing that I think made the biggest change was no wheat products. I was already not eating most of the other foods that are on the avoid list for the Fodmap diet, but after removing wheat I feel so much better, have more energy, my moods are more stable, I sleep better, and most of all no pain or constipation! Strangely enough I tested negative for a gluten intolerence, and Celiac's disease!

Re: Thank you Syl! new
      #370923 - 02/20/14 01:18 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Glad to hear it is working for you. Excellent news!

Since gluten is not a FODMAP one would not expect to have a gluten problem. They only recommend eating gluten free because most, not all, gluten free products are low FODMAP too. In fact the last research suggests that self-reported gluten sensitivity may actually be due to FODMAPs and not gluten. Here is nice write-up on the study

Is Gluten the Culprit in Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

homemade sourdough spelt new
      #371416 - 08/27/14 09:48 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Quote:

Glad to hear it is working for you. Excellent news!
Since gluten is not a FODMAP one would not expect to have a gluten problem. They only recommend eating gluten free because most, not all, gluten free products are low FODMAP too. In fact the last research suggests that self-reported gluten sensitivity may actually be due to FODMAPs and not gluten. Here is nice write-up on the study

Is Gluten the Culprit in Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity?

It helps break down gluten and fructans by rising bread dough longer. I'm doing this with spelt for 2 days at least so I don't have "really" sourdough bread. I'm also using an optional non-dairy probio to help rising. I tried an authentic wheat sourdough, but feel better with the spelt. Every once in a while I'll bake little something sweet without breaking down the gluten and fructans as with rising..Other than that the sweets can be made with something other than wheat or spelt. I was able to get an authentic spelt sourdough bread from Pacific Bakery, who went out of business after many years...

Edited by sgcray (08/27/14 09:50 PM)

Re: FODMAP forum new
      #371514 - 10/04/14 06:12 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

URL to the FODMAP forum for anyone interested: http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/133877-low-fodmaps-diet/ http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/133877-low-fodmaps-diet/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8477

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review