All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Natural Calm
      #370690 - 12/03/13 09:57 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Hello All,

I was wondering if those taking Natural Calm on this board could give me some pointers as to starting to use it.

How long does it take to get results? Are there any side effects?

Thanks Much!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It's magnesium, a laxative. Be careful or it will give you diarrhea. -nt- new
      #370691 - 12/03/13 12:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: It's magnesium, a laxative. Be careful or it will give you diarrhea. -nt- new
      #370692 - 12/03/13 01:23 PM
Candy07

Can I start out with say, half a teaspoon and see how I do??

Should I put it in hot tea?

I was thinking of taking this in the morning, because I certainly do NOT want diarrhea at bedtime!!

Thanks Much!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Re: It's magnesium, a laxative. Be careful or it will give you diarrhea. -nt- new
      #370693 - 12/03/13 02:03 PM
Candy07

Would I be better off just taking a magnesium supplement?

If so, how much per day should I take?

Thanks Yet Again!!

--------------------

I'm really not sure.... you need to be very careful with magnesium new
      #370694 - 12/04/13 10:08 AM
HeatherAdministrator

because it affects your heart's contractions. That's why any kind of magnesium supplement will have a very specific standardized dose, and if you take cal-mag that will also only come in a very specific ratio.

I'd follow directions on the label precisely, or contact the manufacturer if you want to vary their directions.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I'm really not sure.... you need to be very careful with magnesium new
      #370695 - 12/04/13 02:36 PM
Candy07

Great advice as always Heather! I will call the manufacturer tomorrow.

I arranged to get two free sample packets of 1.5 teaspoons each from my local health food store. This way I can try it and not waste money if things don't work out.

I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow!

Thanks Much!

--------------------

#370700 - 12/06/13 07:05 AM
Candy07

Heather,

I called the manufacturer of the Natural Calm I was given a free sample of yesterday. I was told that the amount in the sample is well under the FDA recommended amount of 320mg for adult women.

SO, I am going to try HALF the package today. I PRAY I do NOT have any HEART issues!! The woman on the phone didn't think I would but she is with the manufacturer!

--------------------

#370701 - 12/06/13 01:45 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - you shouldn't have issues if you're within their dosage recommendations. They would be packaging the product within safe specs - I just don't know what those specs are.

You just don't want to start taking magnesium supplements with abandon, disregarding label dosages - that's where you could have problems.

- H

--------------------

#370703 - 12/07/13 10:02 AM
Candy07

OK, Heather, I hear you!

Thanks!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2558 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4104

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review