All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
what to do during long traveling?
      #370608 - 11/11/13 12:28 PM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

I am busy arranging our holiday next year to the USA. I am looking forward to it but I am also a little scared. The flight will be 9 and 4 hours and total traveling time the first day will be over 18 hours..
Because I react a lot on dairy I asked for lactose free meal on the plane. And then the 9 hours time difference. I read a lot about traveling and ibs but what more can you do when you travel so long?

I also wonder what to ask for in restaurant? I read the book, the tips and the advices but I supose I need some more knowledge of the language as in bad-food.

What I did read is that I have to watch out for: creamy, cheesy, rich and deep-fried food. Can someone give me some information to explain what to tell to a waiter in a restaurant? I understand how to explain in Dutch.
But in English I guess it's hard for me. I hope you can give me some examples. In the meantime I am trying to figure out some menus from different restaurants of places where we go. It's a big challenge, but I am going to have a great holiday next year with almost no ibs problems.

Thank you for any help/advice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Some resources for you! new
      #370610 - 11/11/13 04:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Travel Tips

Restaurant Guide Part 1

Restaurant Guide Part 2

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Some resources for you! new
      #370611 - 11/11/13 11:00 PM
Sassie

Thanks for the recourses. I did read them. I am only wondering.. for example, if the menu says rich tomatosauce, are there ways to ask the waiter to change it for me so I can have it? Or is that just a don't? Will I be safe if I stick with grilled broiled fish/vegetarian food and say that I cannot have dairy? Or do I miss a lot hidden bad things then?

Saskia

Re: Some resources for you! new
      #370612 - 11/12/13 11:44 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Look for things that are baked, broiled, or steamed, or maybe stir fried. Ask if there is dairy in things and if they can leave it out.

I always ask them to make things with as little oil as possible.

Japanese restaurants are a good bet, as are Vietnamese and Thai. No dairy to begin with, and easy to find rice/noodle dishes and just ask for very little oil in cooking.

Not sure where you're going or what kinds of foods you like, but if you give me details I can try and give you more specific suggestions.

XXOO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

thanks for your reply. new
      #370613 - 11/12/13 12:38 PM
Sassie

We will travel around. Salt lake city, vermilion cliffs, monument valey, Grand Teton and Yellow Stone Np. In yellow Stone np we will have a house nearby for 5 days so we will make our own diner there.

I like fish very much and I love sushi and sashimi. Thai and vietnamese restaurants are also great. My husband also loves to go a few times to a steakhouse. I can take there a grilled turkey sandwich with some vegtables next to it and a plain baked potato, but I don't like it to eat often the same on holidays.. A few years ago we also went to the USA and went a few times to Dennys. I guess the fitfares are kinda safe except for the cheese. The breakfasts are a problem in hotels. So perhaps we'll have to make our own or have a simple bread with jam or something..

The biggest problem will be the steakhouses and the monument valley area because there will not be much places to choose to eat.

Saskia

Have a wonderful trip new
      #370633 - 11/18/13 08:37 AM
CynthiaS

Reged: 09/26/13

Hi Sassie,
I hope you have a safe and wonderful holiday.
Cheerio
CynthiaS

Re: what to do during long traveling? new
      #370636 - 11/18/13 09:52 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I just returned from a trip to Maui. I pack my own food and I rented a place were I could prepare my own meals. I have done many similar trips and I have found it is the safest way to travel. I never eat out.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370638 - 11/18/13 04:49 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

That's very sad, Syl!! We should ALL be able to go out once in a while and enjoy a restaurant meal!!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370639 - 11/19/13 05:46 AM
Syl

I didn't find it sad at all. I am amazed how with a little bit of planning and effort one can handle international travel. It would be nice to eat out but it is even nicer to be able to visit foreign places and enjoy oneself even with a debilitating disorder like IBS It was great to be able to snorkel with the turtles and fish on the Maui coral reefs

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Have a wonderful trip new
      #370646 - 11/19/13 11:03 AM
Sassie

Thank you Cynthia. It will take a few months befor we go. But for now we are planning. Learning what to eat what I cannot eat. I am sure I'll be ready for the trip when we go.

Saskia

#370647 - 11/19/13 11:15 AM
Sassie

Hi Syl, sounds as a great holiday. We also have our own kitchen for 5 days. But 15 days we only have a microwave ( or not) in the room. All is planned so I have time enough to search the places we go for good restaurants. Most times will be sushi or other asian restaurants. A few times steak for my dear husbands and grilled chicken or salmon for me. I was afraid for the food but I see there are great restaurants with food I can make safe.

I read you also follow foodmap? Perhaps that is harder in restaurants?

Saskia

#370648 - 11/19/13 11:44 AM
Syl

Good luck with your trip. It is nearly impossible to follow the FODMAP dietary approach when you eat out. And be careful to check the ingredients in the foods you buy. If you are travelling in the US you may find many foods contain high fructose corn syrup.

--------------------

#370650 - 11/19/13 11:53 AM
Sassie

Thank you Syl. I figured out I've much problems with dairy, fat and coffee. So I skip all those and I will be fine. I don't think fructose bothers me much, or I am not yet ready for the next steps. But I am feeling much better allready leaving those things out.

#370651 - 11/19/13 11:59 AM
Syl

Great - sounds like you have a solid plan. Everything should work out fine.

--------------------

#370652 - 11/19/13 12:40 PM
Sassie

As long as I am not getting nervous or stressed out.. and eat well and don't try to eat the appetizers or meals from my husband.. yes, then I'll be fine. I will not cheat with food.. I will stay relaxed.. I will learn some good ways to relax in the plane. I can sleep almost everywhere, except in planes so the first 2 days I'll have to relax and recover. We'll having sushi or asian food then. That's the safest food for me.

Sounds like you are well prepared to have great food and a great trip!! new
      #370655 - 11/19/13 01:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1779 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6832

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review