All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Hi all, a question..
      #370584 - 11/06/13 11:15 PM
GarlicGivesMeGas

Reged: 11/06/13

I am brand new to the board and to Heathers Peppermint oil caps and the fiber. So far they are helping but I have a long way to go. I know that garlic and onions are IBS triggers and for me there is no doubt. Eating them give me HORRIBLE gas that lasts for hours. Unfortunately I really love these ingredients. Anyone have any luck getting over these reactions? Even in small amounts they cause a lengthy problem.

Thanks so much.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hi all, a question.. new
      #370585 - 11/07/13 07:20 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is well known that garlic and onions contain a constituent that can worsen IBS symptoms. For more information this article by a dietitian may be useful The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Hi all, a question.. new
      #370586 - 11/07/13 12:53 PM
GarlicGivesMeGas

Reged: 11/06/13

Thanks I've gone long periods without them, but I was hoping at some point my body would be able to handle just small amounts. I guess this is wishful thinking?

I have no problem with them if they're well-cooked new
      #370587 - 11/07/13 01:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't have any problem with the FODMAPS aspect of them, so cooking breaks down the insoluble fiber and off-gasses the sulfur, and that makes a big difference for me. I wouldn't eat them without a soluble fiber foundation, but if I take those steps I have a really good tolerance for them.

If you can't eat them at all I don't know of a lot of great substitutes. You might try different varieties (sweet onions like Maui instead of regular yellow onions, or green onions instead, or shallots instead of garlic, etc.) That might help - not sure, but may be worth a try.

You might also try onion / garlic powders and salts, and see if that helps.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I have no problem with them if they're well-cooked new
      #370621 - 11/16/13 09:02 AM
Syl

Garlic/onion powder and salts can still be a problem for many people as they still contain fructans. However, garlic infused oil is quite safe as the fructans are not soluble in oil. The garlic flavor is imparted to the oil without the fructans leaving the garlic and entering the oil. I make my own garlic infused oil but you have be careful in how you make it. Google it and you will find some safe ways of producing garlic infused oil

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#370632 - 11/18/13 08:18 AM
CynthiaS

Reged: 09/26/13

Hi Syl,
Thanks so much for the great info about the garlic infused oil. Do you think it would also work for onions or even.
Also, do you know if he garlic infused oil would be ok for GERD?
Cheerio
CynthiaS

#370637 - 11/18/13 09:57 AM
Syl

I have not heard anything about onion infused oil. It might work too. Apparently garlic and onions are not good fro GERD

--------------------

#370887 - 02/16/14 10:30 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Heather,

I ate a Lean Cuisine frozen beef stew dinner with onions cooked in the sauce. The dinner contained potatoes, carrots, and green beans. The carrots and green beans seemed a little crunchy.

A couple of hours after I ate this dinner I had MANY loose stools! I was surprised since I thought it was all right for IBSers to eat SOME insoluble fiber foods.

WHERE did I go WRONG? I have already decided to NEVER buy this particular frozen dinner again! It's a real shame because it did taste very good and was quite healthy too!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370889 - 02/17/14 05:28 AM
Syl

It quite possibly could have been the onions. Onions like artichokes, garlic, leeks and a variety of other foods contain fructans - a FODMAP - clinically shown to worsen IBS symptoms in some people. Check the first three links in my signature for more information on the FODMAP approach to managing IBS symptoms

--------------------

#370893 - 02/17/14 08:49 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Thanks SO much, Syl!!

I printed off the cheat sheet regarding the FODMAPS foods that are suitable and are NOT!! Onions are listed, but in the past, I was able to scrape onions off of foods and I was all right.

Maybe the level of onion was just higher in that frozen dinner which I will NEVER buy again!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1722 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20519

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review