All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I am now at 2 tablespoons of Acacia fiber per day
      #370539 - 10/26/13 01:41 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Hello Heather and Other Members,

I am now up to 3 teaspoons (1 tablespoon) of Acacia fiber twice per day. I take it with my tea at breakfast and supper.

I am STILL somewhat constipated, although I am MUCH better off than when I first started with the fiber in late August and have had NO diarrhea since August 22nd.

At when level do I have to reach in order to resolve my constipation? This is causing me frequent urination and the sensation that I am not emptying my bowels completely.

Also how do I get from 2 tablespoons per day to the maximum of 4 or 5 tablespoons per day?

Can I increase my daily doses every few days by one half teaspoon? This is how I increased my doses since August.

Thanks much as always and have a great, attack-free day everybody!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I am now at 2 tablespoons of Acacia fiber per day new
      #370540 - 10/26/13 02:40 PM
reindeer

Reged: 08/22/11

Just adding more and more soluble fiber will not help. You need to be getting insoluble as well.

Soluble fibers attract water and form a gel, which slows down digestion. Soluble fiber delays the emptying of your stomach and makes you feel full.

Insoluble fibers add bulk to the diet, helping prevent constipation. These fibers do not dissolve in water, so they pass through the gastrointestinal tract relatively intact, and speed up the passage of food and waste through your gut.

You need a balance of both.

#370542 - 10/26/13 04:22 PM
Candy07

Makes perfect sense, reindeer!!

So HOW do I safely add that insoluble fiber? Actually I have been SO afraid of this that I have avoided it all these months!

No WONDER I am constipated!!

You guys on this board are a lifesaver!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370543 - 10/26/13 04:30 PM
reindeer

Reged: 08/22/11

eat it with your soluable fiber or right after you have taken a drink of your acacia fiber. Use the soluable fiber as sort of a cushion for the insoluble. If you had the bean soup, beans are both....soluble and insoluble, apples and pears are the same...both soluble and insolua\ble. Personally I need twice as much insoluble fiber to keep me going. If my diet consisted mainly of soluble fiber I'd be really constipated.

#370544 - 10/26/13 05:04 PM
Candy07

YUP, that is my problem right now!!

So I will start eating a lot more insoluble fiber tomorrow. If I eat too late at night, my acid reflux acts up and it's hard to sleep.

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!!

--------------------

#370546 - 10/27/13 04:14 AM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Don't take a lot if at once. Just as with the sf you need to increase it slowly at your diet. Otherwise you'll get troubles again. Your body needs to get used to it. So, don't take too much at once. Good luck.

#370547 - 10/27/13 09:11 AM
Candy07

Sassie,

I have always broken up my Acacia fiber into TWO doses, one in the morning and the other with supper.

I HAVE gradually ramped up my dosage so I think I should be OK then??

--------------------

#370550 - 10/28/13 02:05 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

You're doing great! Keep gradually increasing at the rate you have been. Average dose to resolve constipation is 3-5 tablespoons per day.

And yes, you do need to carefully add in insoluble fiber foods for good health. Cook, chop, puree, blend, and add to soluble fiber foods to be safe.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2412 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3306

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review