All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Is this probiotic ok for IBS?
      #370420 - 10/10/13 07:43 AM
CynthiaS

Reged: 09/26/13

Hi,
I am looking for a probiotic that is good for IBS.
Has anyone heard of this?
ULTIMATE FLORA ULTRA POTENT 100 BILLION
It is refrigerated.

I hope it is ok to post this link, if not please remove.
(Correct link)
http://www.ultimatefloraprobiotic.com/Ultimate-Flora-Ultra-Potent-100-Billion-p/15350.htm

Cheerio
CynthiaS

Very Underweight, 5'4'' 110 lbs)and trying to gain weight.\
. IBS-D,Gas,GERD,nausea,gluten allergy and sensitive to most flours. So far the only grain I am able to eat is rice.

Edited by CynthiaS (10/10/13 02:13 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this probiotic ok for IBS? new
      #370422 - 10/10/13 12:47 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might look for one with the same bacteria in another product but without FOS as an 'Other Ingredient'.

FOS is a short chained rapidly fermenting soluble fiber known to cause problems for some individuals with IBS. You can read about it in the first link in my signature.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370425 - 10/10/13 02:02 PM
CynthiaS

Hi Syl,
Thanks for the info.
Actually, I posted the info from a different brand than I am getting. I looked it up and it does not contain the FOS.
Thanks so much for your help.
Cheerio
CynthiaS

#370512 - 10/22/13 01:22 PM
tracyla2

Reged: 03/11/13
Loc: CA Bay Area

I have been using Prescript-Assist, which is also recommended on the Gaps Diet. An MD I work for insisted I take an antibiotic shot, and unfortunately I did. I immediatly upped my Acacia Fiber and peppermint tea. I was still having awful diarrha sympoms "again" But started rigorously adding fermented foods, and this probiotic. It is recommended to take it twice a day for a month after antibiotics. I would say that my gut habits are more normal then they were since even before I took the antibiotic. And I thought they were as normal as they were going to get with the Heather's Fiber and Peppermint tea, which was pretty darn good.

#370515 - 10/22/13 07:52 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

What is FOS?? I am also using this probiotic. I got it at Walmart.

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370517 - 10/23/13 03:53 AM
Syl

FOA is fructo-oligosaccharides which are rapidly fermenting soluble fiber that can be an IBS trigger.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#370520 - 10/23/13 10:33 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

In what foods or other substances are these found? Is there a list I can go to check?

Thanks MUCH, Syl, as always!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Do NOT use FOS or inulin as a fiber supplement if you have IBS... new
      #370523 - 10/23/13 01:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

they can cause extreme bloating and gas. They're getting popular because they're dirt cheap, so they're popping up in all kinds of fiber supplements and also processed foods.

They're basically a manufacturing by-product from the food industry. They're prebiotic, but not in a good way, because they ferment very rapidly in the gut. Good prebiotics have a very slow fermentation, so they don't have the gas and bloating risk. But good prebiotic soluble fibers are much more expensive raw ingredients.

See here soluble fiber supplements for a rundown on soluble fiber options and suitability for IBS.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather, does that mean the probiotic should not be used new
      #370524 - 10/23/13 02:31 PM
CynthiaS

Hi Heather,
Thanks for your post.
With that probiotic it is 1 enteric coated capsule taken once a day. Is there enough of the FOS in that capsule to trigger the IBS gas and bloating?
Cheerio
CynthiaS

IBS-D,Gas,gluten allergy and flour sensitive. So far the only grain I am able to eat is rice.

#370528 - 10/23/13 05:17 PM
Syl

You have to read the label of every food, supplement, beverage - anything you eat - FOS and other unfriendly ingredients are liable to show up anywhere.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 724 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11249

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review