All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chemotherapy and IBS
      #370380 - 10/05/13 09:05 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Hello Heather and Everybody,

I have read comments on another site I belong to for my Hodgkin's Lymphoma that sometimes patients get IBS after their chemo ends.

Has anyone on this site experienced this?

Thanks Much!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Have had some patient feedback about this... new
      #370392 - 10/07/13 03:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it can occur. Have also heard from people who develop radiation enteritis, that can really mimic IBS, and can also lead to IBS as well.

Basically, anything that violently disrupts the normal function of the gut (an "insult to the gut") can then lead to IBS. Chemo and radiation would certainly qualify.

The same treatments for IBS would apply as usual, regardless of the cause of onset.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Have had some patient feedback about this... new
      #370393 - 10/07/13 04:46 PM
Candy07

Does radiation enteritis have a better prognosis than IBS??

I am already SOOO SICK and TIRED of this condition!! And it is SOOO fricking UNFAIR after ALL I have already GONE THRU!!!

There are many days where I am FILLED with anger and have NO compassion for anyone else either!!!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370395 - 10/07/13 10:53 PM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Do you talk with others about how you feel? Perhaps it can help you to get off the anger. I notice when I am stressed by fear or angryness my troubles with ibs are much more. How are you doing with the diet?

It really sucks how you feel and what you've been through so I really hope you'll give yourself the possibility to feel so much better.

Did you try to follow Heather's 'how to break the ibs circle'?

It really sucks if you got ibs by following chemo but try to focus now on how to make yourself feeling better. It is the best you can do for yourself.

Good luck and I think of you.

Saskia

#370402 - 10/08/13 02:03 PM
Candy07

Thank you for your VERY kind message, Saskia!!

I truly appreciate ie!

--------------------

#370411 - 10/09/13 11:54 AM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

I am so sorry you are suffering so.. Actually, I have personally spoken to several ladies on the phone who have had cancer and following with an IBS diagnosis. As mentioned, for some people, once traumatized, the GI system can end up with IBS, pain and the emotional fatigue and/or anxiety. For these ladies, they were greatly helped witb the IBS Audio Program - which calmed the mind-body aspect of things and can be used alongside anything else. One lady did not want to take more medications, and this was very helpful to her in reducing pain and IBS symptoms, and actually helped her to feel better overall.

Perhaps this isnt something you would consider, but it might be worth a shot to help you rest and be calmer, and perhaps address pain and motility issues. The program comes with free support if you need it - no worries if this is not something you would consider, but since I know that the program has helped others in your similar situation, I just thought I would mention it. Feel free to ask me any questions if you wish...

It isnt fair that you have had cancer and then IBS on top of things - my heart goes out to you... I hope you feel better and are able to get this sorted...blessings to you.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#370413 - 10/09/13 03:18 PM
Candy07

Marilyn,

Thank you SO much for your very kind and helpful post!

Yes, I will gladly try the hypnosis CD! I have nothing to lose and everything to gain at this point!

Have a blessed day!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5733

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review