All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does Anyone Drink Kefir?
      #370368 - 10/04/13 11:51 AM
RedTearsBlackWings

Reged: 12/31/12

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone here drinks kefir? Particularly the type that you make yourself? I ask because I'm wondering when would be best for me to drink it, I've read that it's known to help IBS because it contains a whole heap of probiotic goodness (even more the then pills or yoghurt). I've read blogs of people who say they've been practically IBS free after starting this but none of these blogs happened to mention if the time of day they drink it has any effect on IBS especially when you first start drinking it. I've ordered some kefir grains and so within a few days I'll be able to start making my own, I do plan to keep people informed because there seems to be a whole lot of evidence that it's good for just about every illness. It is also has an anti-inflammatory property which helps those with IBD and contains good yeast which kills bad yeast and thus more or less cures leaky bowel. This could be a really important break though for me since I do still get a fair bit of IBS trouble even with Heather's fantastic diet and products so I felt I should share it with others I shall keep you posted on how I go with my kefir.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Nope - can't do dairy, even if fermented, with probiotics, etc. new
      #370372 - 10/04/13 03:05 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I just can't tolerate it.

I do use soy, rice, or almond fermented dairy subs with live cultures and have no problems.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Does Anyone Drink Kefir? new
      #370373 - 10/04/13 05:27 PM
Roxstar

Reged: 02/12/12

It's a shame that we IBSers can't have Kefir-it is so delicious the ones you get from Indian takeaway stores. Strawberry and Mango usually. For probiotics, there is a probiotic called SB floractiv made by Bioceuticals that a good naturopath should be able to put you onto. Some chemists have free naturopaths aswell. Ensure you get the right diagnosis-I was recently diagnosed with having no good bacteria in my gut at all and my pancreas is not working properly. Some naturopaths can run an extensive stool culture. The only catch is, it's not covered by medicare so I had to save in order to get it done. It's done over a few days and screens you for parasites and bacterial infections aswell.

Edited by Roxstar (10/04/13 05:30 PM)

#370384 - 10/07/13 08:48 AM
RedTearsBlackWings

No no the stuff I'm talking about is made using kefir grains, it's a million times more powerful then anything that you buy at any store or chemist. If you make it with low fat milk I've found a lot of blogs that say it does really help them. This is one of the better sites I've found about proper traditional kefir made from the grains: http://www.timelesshealth.net/kefir/allaboutkefir.html
I advise you to check it out because these are completely natural no fake sugars or anything like that.
You can also get water kefir grains which you use to ferment water and sugar that might be better for people who can't tolerate the dairy even with all the probiotic help. It's also much cheaper to buy the grains once then continuously buying starter cultures or powders.

Re: Nope - can't do dairy, even if fermented, with probiotics, etc. new
      #370385 - 10/07/13 08:52 AM
RedTearsBlackWings

Have you ever seen the kefir water grains? They'll have a higher probiotic content then any culture powder because the grains are actually living when you get them. I'm not sure how the world managed to go super food crazy and leave out the one that has people living to 150+ years old and is mentioned in the Bible (I can't remember exactly but apparently they were given to someone and are known as the Profits Drink or something like that I don't know much about the Bible but I know I read it somewhere).

#370394 - 10/07/13 05:41 PM
reindeer

Reged: 08/22/11

I too have read good results from drinking Keifer (not the flavored store brand) but the Keifer you make at home. Supposedly the true Keifer is very soothing to the gut. Have you ordered your grains yet, and if so from where? I'm going to start looking into this again and just might give it a shot. I know homemade yogurt is quite easy, I just wonder if the Keifer making process is very complex.

Re: Does Anyone Drink Kefir? Yah, SOY KEFIR new
      #371502 - 09/30/14 11:59 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

It's much easier than especially soy yogurt results anyway..Pretty much a no fail. I just kefir cultured my Westsoy lowfat vanilla (sweetened) soymilk for 22 hrs, just short of the 24 hrs because of our warmer home summertime temp. using Body Ecology Kefir starter powder. Has a slight tang, not as tangy as dairy kefir, probably cultured a lower amt. of good bacteria and good yeasts than the dairy. Will sometime get me some of them more potent and better probio variety kefir grains (like a lil glob). They come in either the dairy kefir grains (continually reuseable for dairy, but also for our soy and rice milks, almond?) or the water kefir grains to continually culture sweetened remineralized purifed water, because the little guys need those minerals too. Some people use the water kefir to culture the young coconut water, which beware has alot of magnesium i.e. possible diarriah causing for some people on here. MUCH easier than soy yogurt, that doesn't include good yeasts with ITS good bacteria. Anyway, was looking up kefir on this diet to see what was up with it being ok.....I'm ok with soymilk kefir..superior to drinking uncultured soymilk. PS: Start with a very small amount T or less/day for a week and increase slowly especially if using more potent and removable (btw), forever reusable kefir reg. grains or kefir water grains advised..JUST LIKE PROBIO CAPS etc..should be increased slowly.

Edited by sgcray (10/05/14 10:45 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12876

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review