All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Oats
      #370292 - 09/26/13 03:07 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Does it make any difference if I use rolled oats, porridge oats (oat flakes) or oatmeal to make porridge. I'm aware that steel cut oats still contain some of the bran from the outer husk and are therefore unsuitable. I asked a friend who thought that rolled oats contained more IF than porridge oats, but it couldn't find any evidence. Does anyone know if this is true?

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oats new
      #370293 - 09/26/13 04:14 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have used them all including steel cut oats which I currently eat. On the label of each of these types of oats it says 2 grams soluble and 2 grams insoluble fiber per serving. What does it say on the label of your oats?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370294 - 09/26/13 04:37 AM
mradams1

thanks Syl,

I generally buy my oats from the health food store so they don't have nutritional information on the packet. The fibre content, here in the UK, varies from brand to brand. They also don't generally break the fibre into soluble/insoluble and only list total fibre.

A selection from the oats available in the supermarket includes (all per 100g):

The stoneground oatmeal contains 7.1g of fibre
The porridge oats contains 6.6g of fibre
The pinhead oats contain 4.2g of fibre

A different brand :
Rolled oats contain 9g (4g soluble, 5g insoluble)
Gluten free oats contain 1.3g of fibre

With the exception of the GF oats it seems the fibre content in the UK is much higher than that of those in Canada. As I can't tell which product contains the most favourable SF/IF ratio, do you reckon I'm best with the gluten free oats?

--------------------

#370297 - 09/26/13 09:52 AM
Syl

You should be able to find Quaker Oats in the UK. When I lived there I could buy them. They seem to be available from Sainsbury's Notice it says for the fiber content 3.6 gram dietary fiber of which 1.4 grams is beta glucan (a soluble fiber) for a 40 gram serving. I ate these oats and this didn't give me any problems.

The "Rolled oats contain 9g (4g soluble, 5g insoluble)" sound reasonable to because I presume these measures per 100 grams and not per serving. It would be similar to Quaker Oats

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

The difference is how finely cut the oats are... new
      #370299 - 09/26/13 12:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

oat groats are uncut, then steel cut oats, then regular oats, then instant, in order of how finely they are cut.

They will all have the same soluble/insoluble fiber content, as they're not removing the oat bran when they mill the groats (as opposed to whole wheat vs white flour, or brown rice vs white rice, where the bran is actually removed in the milling process).

But milling the whole groats will mechanically break down that insoluble fiber, and make it easier on your gut. Same idea as chopping/cooking fruits and veggies.

So easiest on you would be instant oatmeal. Regular oatmeal would be next best.

All oats are inherently gluten free, and that won't affect fiber levels. But oats are often processed in plants with other grains that do have gluten, so there can be cross contamination. Oats labeled gluten free are just processed in facilities without risk of that contamination - the oats themselves aren't special.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: The difference is how finely cut the oats are... new
      #370306 - 09/27/13 02:56 AM
mradams1

Thanks Heather.

According to the nutritional information on the packets the fibre content varies considerably depending on type of oat (how they're cut).

In my example the Pinhead (steel-cut) seems to contain less fibre (4.2g) than the porridge oats (6.6g), rolled oats (9g) or the oatmeal (7.1g).

This doesn't seem to make sense, if like you say; they should all contain the same soluble/insoluble fibre content.

Otherwise, I'd have expected the steel cut to contain the most fibre, then the rolled oats, porridge oats and finally oatmeal. This doesn't seem to be the case according to the manufactures label.

I currently use medium cut oatmeal but I was looking for a porridge with a little more texture and I'm thinking of trying a combination of rolled and porridge oats. I've tried steel cut but they seem to give me problems.

--------------------

Oat hull removal ... new
      #370308 - 09/27/13 03:43 AM
Syl

The oat grains are de-husked by impact, then heated and cooled to stabilize the "Oat groats". The process of heating produces a nutty flavour in the oats. These oat groats may be milled to produce fine, medium or coarse oatmeal. Oatmeal is also sometimes porridge with the bran or fibrous husk as well as the oat kernel or groat.

The problem I found with oatmeal in the UK is the frequently not all of the hull is removed or some bran is added in some brands. The UK seems to have its own oats/oatmeal culture

--------------------

Edited by Syl (09/27/13 03:50 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1122 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3064

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review