All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
What can I safely eat at the airports??
      #370240 - 09/20/13 11:33 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Hello All,

I will soon be taking a business trip to PA and am thinking of what is safe to eat at the airports.

I am thinking of having the grilled chicken snack wrap at McDonald's with no cheese and lettuce and their sweet iced tea with NO ice, since I read fast food ice contains many types of bacteria.

Also, tea from Starbuck's and one of their pastries very low in butter and other dairy. I will search their website now.

Does anyone else have other safe food ideas? I will be going thru the airports at O'Hare (Chicago) and Harrisburg, PA.

Thanks a lot as always, guys!! I really appreciate it!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What can I safely eat at the airports?? new
      #370243 - 09/20/13 02:21 PM
reindeer

Reged: 08/22/11

Candy, Personally I wouldn't eat anything in the airport, or any fast food place for that matter. That chicken wrap has 740mg of sodium in it and the sweet tea is probably filled with preservatives. Even if I didn't have IBS I wouldn't touch any of that sort of food just because it's basically bad for you. I always take my own food...fresh fruit, turkey breast sandwich, raw carrots, homemade healthy muffins, etc. There are lots of things you could make. As far as the wine....I can drink any of it in moderation. Have a good time even if it's business.

Edited by reindeer (09/20/13 02:24 PM)

Yes, I second bringing your own. Much safer (and far tastier). -nt- new
      #370246 - 09/20/13 06:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Yes, I second bringing your own. Much safer (and far tastier). -nt- new
      #370251 - 09/21/13 08:46 AM
Candy07

But what about airport security? I can't even bring in a bottle of water I bought before I go thru the screening!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370253 - 09/21/13 09:03 AM
reindeer

Not a problem at all with food. Bottles a whole different story. Here is an article re: subject.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7350181_food-airlines.html

Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread new
      #370254 - 09/21/13 09:49 AM
reindeer

Heather, your Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread is to die for. It's a great take along snack. I make several loaves at Christmas, give them away and people love it. It's also great to freeze small portions and pull out as needed. Thanks for the best ever bread recipe!!

#370255 - 09/21/13 10:12 AM
Candy07

OK, I didn't know this! I would have to eat the sandwich or food right away before it spoiled too!

Thanks!

--------------------

#370256 - 09/21/13 10:13 AM
Candy07

Does anybody have any really good sandwich ideas? I have dry mouth so I would need LOTS of toppings on it!

Thanks Again!

--------------------

#370257 - 09/21/13 10:56 AM
reindeer

The only kind of bread I use is Ezekiel, but that is just a personal preference. A stand-by for me is hummus (I like the Tribe Hummus) and zucchini slices. Peanut butter and jelly and zucchini slices. Turkey Breast, zucchini and mustard. When the weather is not hot I can run around all day with nothing spoiling. I also add other toppings like tomatoes, spinach, etc. but those kind of things may get limp. If I know I won't be eating it for a while I won't put those extra veggies on it. You could wrap some lettuce or spinach in saran wrap and add when you eat. You could also just take some flour tortillas and eat plain...no fear of them spoiling. Another really good thing to take to snack on is raw almonds. Not only delicious but a great protein. You could also make some healthy home-made granola bars (lots of recipes if you google). I've even taken a cold baked potato, sliced it and eaten it...just something that's healthy to hold me over so my stomach is not empty (I like dipping it in mustard). Don't necessarily think of having meals per se but some healthy snacks every few hours until you get to your destination.

#370258 - 09/21/13 12:33 PM
Candy07

Thanks reindeer!

I am thinking of bringing a sliced turkey sandwich with non-fat mayo on a hamburger bun. I will buy water in the airport.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 506 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4831

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review