All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I tried turkey bacon
      #370197 - 09/17/13 09:14 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Hello,

I tried turkey bacon today for the first time and it tasted AWFUL!!

Well, I guess this was better than eating real bacon and suffering an attack! But I am still SO mad that I have to EAT this way!!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Try a different brand... new
      #370209 - 09/17/13 03:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

try a different flavor, try soy bacon, try Bacos, try seasoning with smoked paprika or Bacon Salt (which is bacon free) or liquid smoke. There are lots of things to add to recipes to replace the smoke and crunch of bacon.

With the meat trigger subs, it's easier to incorporate them into your cooking than to sit down to a slab of some meat replacement and enjoy it, especially if you're used to the real thing.

Experiment, keep trying, find the options that you genuinely like. Don't settle, you should enjoy eating, and be able to eat without getting sick at the same time. There are tons and tons of IBS safe recipes to play with, so find what suits your tastes.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Try a different brand... new
      #370222 - 09/18/13 06:50 PM
Candy07

Heather,

What brands of turkey or soy bacon do you recommend? We just picked up turkey bacon at Walmart!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370227 - 09/18/13 07:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

You have to play around and find your preferences. You might have better luck with fancier brands at Whole Foods and such, or even at a local butcher shop if you have that option.

I'm not a big bacon lover so it's easy to please me with the soy versions - I doubt they'd fool anyone who misses the real thing, but they're great for me for cooking with. I love Fakin' Bacon, which is a smoked seitan (and hard to find outside of Whole Foods).

I also like a soy bacon from my local QFC grocery - Morning Star brand. It's a green box in the freezer section near the Amy's Organics stuff. I use that all the time. Other brands I've tried and hated.

Good luck!

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#370252 - 09/21/13 08:48 AM
Candy07

Heather,

Yesterday on the way home from the dentist, I bought a different brand of turkey bacon from a meat shop. It even looks like real bacon, with the strip of white fat in it.

I will try it tomorrow and let all of you know how it is. I am hoping it is MUCH better than the last kind I bought, LOL!

--------------------

#370337 - 09/30/13 05:41 PM
Candy07

This second brand of turkey bacon was horrible so I have given up on it!

--------------------

#370340 - 10/01/13 01:13 AM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Don't give up. There are more brands. I have difficulty finding it but sometimes you also have to get used to a taste. Did you use it in a meal, or just the bacon itself?
If you really don't seem to like it, try other things instead, perhaps turkey ham?, but don't give up so fast. Make it a game, like finding a treasure and how to learn to make nice healthy meals for yourself.

Ow, and don't look at as if you're not allowed to eat bacon at all. Make it something you will have now and then but in times when you really don't have to go somewhere, so that if you get an attack, you'll have the time to go to the toilet etc. I am sure if you had a few attacks after eating it, and you notice it is bad for you, in time you will not even want that anymore.

Give yourself and the changing the time. Don't give up and don't be too hard on yourself. Find your way in your own way.

Good luck.

#370341 - 10/01/13 06:28 AM
Candy07

GREAT advice, Sassie, thanks!!

--------------------

#370344 - 10/01/13 12:43 PM
reindeer

Reged: 08/22/11

One of the best kind of bacons tastewise and healthwise is elk. I have hunters in the family who I can get it from, but I don't know if you can purchase in a store. Maybe from a butcher??

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1407 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3631

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review