All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rice Dream, rice milk, giving problems?
      #370162 - 09/11/13 06:34 AM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Today I had 200 ml of rice dream, and within half an hour I got cramps. I didn't had that for a while.. Since I left out the dairy in my food and drinks. I can handle Soymilk very well.

Is this just 'bad luck' or is there something in the rice milk which I cannot handle? Maybe it was too cold? It's dairy and lactose free and low-fat.

To make the picture more complete:
Today I had a cracker, low fat. 3 sordough sandwiches (thin sliced)1 with chicken and 2 with marmelade/jam and 1 white sandwich with soy cheese. I drunk a lot of herb teas (mint) and water. The sandwiches are all with like 1 hour in between, so not at once.

Yesterday for diner we ate rice, salmon with herbs and leek in the oven. Perhaps it's from the leek? Sometimes I forgot how it felt and I hope to forget it soon again how these cramps feel..

Thanks in advance,

Saskia
------

Edited by Sassie (09/11/13 06:46 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I have big problems with leeks... new
      #370164 - 09/11/13 12:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

to such an extent that I just cannot eat them. Just leeks - no other form of onions, garlic, shallots, etc. bother me like that.

But - rice milk sometimes has oil added to it so it's richer and creamier. Check the ingredients and see. You could try almond or oat milk also.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Rice Dream, rice milk, giving problems? new
      #370165 - 09/11/13 12:36 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Leeks are a well-known IBS trigger. They belong to the same FODMAP group as onions and garlic. If you have not read about the clinically tested FODMAP dietary approach to managing IBS symptoms check the first three links in my signature.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Rice Dream, rice milk, giving problems? new
      #370166 - 09/11/13 01:09 PM
Sassie

I read about the fodmap but it's too much for me at this time to combine all the changes I am making...

I read in the EFI book about leek but I thought, being coocked and with enough sf it would be no problem.. but it can be both then, I checked the ricemilk package again and now I did find sunflower oil has been added. It doesn't say how much...

I have no problems with garlic and onions only if they are raw. We only eat leek once in the 3 months or even less so I will get it out of my diet.. one problem less. I'll try to find another thing for milk..

Thank you both for your quick reply.

Saskia

Check the fat content per serving... new
      #370167 - 09/11/13 05:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

you want less than 20% of the calories from fat in something like rice milk (and if they're not adding oil it would be even less).

It's the only kind of milk I've ever seen them add oil to - and they often add a lot!

Funny about leeks - why would that be the exception when onions/garlic are no problem? We have the exact same issue, and FODMAPS does not explain it.

Fortunately I'm not a big leek fan, so it's easy to sub or avoid.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Check the fat content per serving... new
      #370168 - 09/11/13 11:03 PM
Sassie

In that case the ricemilk looks safe.
Per 200ml
394 kj energy
18,8 grams carbohydrate of which 8 grams sugar
Lactose 0
Fat 2 grams
Fibre 0,2 gram
Calcium 240 ml.

So or the leek or maybe the sugar amount, I really have to learn about what's in the food. I suppose leek has way more if then garlic or onion? Perhaps that is the problem..

Correct .... there is a difference new
      #370170 - 09/12/13 04:40 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Leeks contain 2.8 gm per serving of free fructose while garlic and onions and onions have very little free fructose. That is a considerable amount of free fructose - nearly as much as in 2 tablespoons of HFCS

On the other hand leeks contain less much fructans per serving than garlic but more than onions.

FODMAP content can usually explain things fairly well. However, there is a difference in the level of FODMAPs in different varieties of the same product even grown under conditions. Current most of the information FODMAP content is for Australian grown foods not North American grown foods.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Check the fat content per serving... new
      #370173 - 09/12/13 08:52 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

This isn't related to the issues discussed but I found that Rice Dream turned my cereal REALLY soggy in just a few minutes.

Now I just use WATER with my cereal. Tastes disgusting but at least I don't have any issues with this!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Re: Correct .... there is a difference new
      #370175 - 09/12/13 10:27 AM
Sassie

Thanks Syl, maybe I'll jump into the fodmap when I feel like I really need it. Because english isn't my 1st language, it's too much to understand at the moment. I know too less words to understand it. Maybe when the 'normal' food has become common to me, I'll give it a try.

Saskia

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2018 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4242

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review