#370131 - 09/05/13 01:35 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Researchers describe new form of irritable - Sept 5, 2013 - Medical Press

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks! Sounds like another type of insult to the gut that leads to IBS... new
      #370132 - 09/05/13 02:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

so it's sad this came as a surprise to any of the medical professionals involved in that study.

So far there's post-inflammatory, post-infectious, I've heard of post-surgical, post-colonoscopy, and now post-diverticulitis IBS. It's all just a case of dysfunction following some initial physical trauma, so why not just call it that?

You've got people who seem to be born with IBS, and people who develop it following an insult to the gut, and people who develop it out of the blue for no identifiable reason whatsoever. Their symptoms are all the same, it's just the underlying cause of WHY there is ongoing dysfunction following the trauma recovery that no one can figure out. I wish they'd focus a bit more on that.

But I love the comment about how the docs don't believe the patients are still having problems and just blow it off as part of the diverticulitis. Nice.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Thanks! Sounds like another type of insult to the gut that leads to IBS... new
      #370134 - 09/06/13 07:13 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I think we will see new findings coming at a fairly fast clip. The Human Microbiome Project which was started in 2007 to examine microbes found in the human body is beginning to produce results. Recently Nature made public one of the first papers from this project The gut microbiota - masters of host development and physiology. It shows that gut bacteria have more control over the human body than ever anticipated. It won't belong before we have a better idea of how the gut flora effects gut-brain dysfunction - I hope

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Thanks! Sounds like another type of insult to the gut that leads to IBS... new
      #370135 - 09/06/13 11:05 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

I really hope so, Syl! Perhaps there can finally be a huge breakthrough in understanding and effectively treating IBS AT LAST!!

I know I am TIRED of suffering with this and I know all of you are tired as well!!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370771 - 01/07/14 10:58 AM
CathyF

Reged: 05/21/08

I've had IBS since 2007. Last month I got so sick and weak with lower abs pain. Really painful, like stabbing. I kept taking Motrin, the pain went away but it kepts coming back.

So I went to ER. Had CT scan and the doctor said it was divertculitis. I got IV full of antibiotics, and tube inserted to drain bad fluid from colon. It was so awful.

I stayed for a week. Two weeks later, I went to see surgeon and he said that it was in bad shape and need to remove. I decided to wait. I am going to see him this week (Thrusday).

I don't know what to say. Will colon removal help?
I have a friend that had divertculitis and had whole colon removed. She said she doesn't have IBS. My case is different and wasn't sure if it will help?

I'm a picky eater. Sometime I eat healthy food, some time I skipped by eating cheese, pizza, cracker. I get mood swings. I forget taking vitamins or fiber.

I just can't stand the sharp pain at lower abs all the time. I am researching to see if its worth to have some colon remove.
Cathy IBS-A, Divertculitis.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2857

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review