All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Acaciafiber question.
      #370007 - 08/17/13 10:28 AM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Today I felt like urgently need to go to the toilet for D. But in the end I only had cramps (bad cramps) for over 1 hours and then the cramps went away. I am wundering if this is 'the work' of the fiber? That I didn't had D but instead of that the cramps? I am only at 1t morning/ 1t evening of the acacia.

I am wundering, is the fiber controlling the D this way? It feels like the bowel movement stays the same (working like crazy, which normally gives D) but this time the bm was 'blocked' by the fiber.

Hmm, I hope you understand what I mean....

Saskia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

No, it can't work that way... new
      #370015 - 08/19/13 10:49 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

soluble fiber can't "block" anything. Insoluble fiber could, but you'd need something like a stricture, or narrowing of the intestine, from something like surgical scar tissue or past episodes of inflammation from IBS.

You're at a very low dose still - it's not enough to be doing anything for you but starting to get your gut used to more fiber. Keep adding an extra 1/2 tsp to one dose every 3-5 days or so. You'll likely end up at 2-3 tablespoons per day for diarrhea, but if you stabilize at a lower dose stay there.

You might not have had enough food in your gut at the time of the attack for diarrhea - so you had the pain/spasms, and the violent contractions that cause diarrhea, but no matter in your colon to come rushing out.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: No, it can't work that way... new
      #370024 - 08/19/13 01:44 PM
Sassie

Thanks Heather,

I'll keep on increasing the fiber. I supose I have to learn a lot about how this stupid ibs works and what the food does with me. I am feeling much better again, thank you. My dh made something with whitebeans. Soked in water overnight, then cooked, cooled down and then we made a salad of it. Very nice but perhaps that was too much If although I thought it would be ok if cooked first. .Also the gas came back.. It was less, almost gone for 2 days..

In a way I do like it to find out what works and what doesn't. Knowing I can be feeling better in a few weeks/months. I only am a little sad that I cannot find soy cheese here, but I'll keep on searching. :-)

Saskia

#370027 - 08/19/13 02:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Be careful with beans, including soy, if you're not used to eating them. Cooking them well/mashing them will help with the insoluble fiber issue, but all beans contain raffinose, a sugar. Your gut has to get used to digesting it, so go slow and steady.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks for info. -nt- new
      #370029 - 08/19/13 11:42 PM
Sassie

#370046 - 08/24/13 04:23 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Hi Heather,

Yesterday I ordered your Acacia powder.

I sent you an email this afternoon with this question.

You stated that you should drink at least 64 ounces of fluid in a day. I drink maybe half that much.

Must you consume that level of liquids in order for the Acacia fiber to work?

Thanks Much!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370047 - 08/25/13 06:16 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You need about 64 oz of fluids per day (water, juice, etc) including the water contained in the foods you eat. A good rule for hydration level is you should be able to read a newspaper through a glass of urine. If you cannot because it is too dark then you are under hydrated.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Soluble fiber needs water in your bowel to work properly new
      #370051 - 08/26/13 10:08 AM
HeatherAdministrator

and your GI tract in general needs plenty of fluids for normal bowel function. This is especially important for constipation.

As long as your drinks aren't caffeinated or alcohol, they'll all count towards fluid intake. You don't have to have liquids right with the Tummy Fiber, just throughout the day.

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Re: A few other acaciafiber questions new
      #370115 - 09/01/13 03:11 AM
Sassie

If you forget 1 dose I supose you can just keep on going the next day with the same dose but what if you forgot a couple of days to take the fiber, let's say 5 days, can you just go on with the same or do you have to start again with a lower dose?

And can you skip a few days or can that give problems right away?

I supose you can take the travel packages into the plane without problems checking in?

Saskia

Re: Acaciafiber question. new
      #370116 - 09/01/13 12:02 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Sassie,

I am SOOO glad you actually didn't have the D! It appears the fiber is working for you! Good for you!

I am only at the level of 1/2 tsp per day twice per day. Will increase my fiber level soon.

I also noticed that my cramps are way down since starting the fiber!

God bless Heather for her products and help to all of us!!

Have a great Sunday!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 179 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15442

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review