All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cinnamon
      #369977 - 08/14/13 11:42 AM
AngeLou

Reged: 08/14/13

I try to support my sweet wife, who suffers with IBS, as much as possible and was recently told by a healthcare provider (gastroenterologist) that adding cinnamon capsules to her breakfast and supper would be helpful. Before acting on that suggestion, I need to know what you think because your other thoughts, acacia fiber and peppermint capsules have been so helpful. Can you give me advice about cinnamon? Is it good and is there a recommended amount to take?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cinnamon new
      #369978 - 08/14/13 11:53 AM
Roxstar

Reged: 02/12/12

That's so cool to hear you are supportive as this illness is devasating and many feel so alome with it.

Cinnamon is actually a tree bark. In its best form it is actually really good for the gut and is anti-fungal and awesome. I sprinkle it on oats, have it in tea and smoothies etc...Unless you are allergic you can probably have a good teaspoon or two a day.

Everyone is different though so try a little at first and ensure your wife has been screened out for parasites, bacterial infection and also that she has a test for a sensitivity to FODMAPS as many other things can mimic IBS.

You just missed the IBS Quick Tips today - all about spices and IBS! new
      #369979 - 08/14/13 11:58 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Check here Spicy Foods and IBS

Cinnamon, like almost herbs and spices, is a digestive aid. Cinnamon is also helpful for diabetes.

I wouldn't put it at the top of the list for herbs/spices for IBS - peppermint, fennel, and ginger would be a better fit - but it can't hurt and might well help!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#369982 - 08/14/13 11:26 PM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

I have never heard of cinnamon capsules.
If you are not sure maybe it will be also helpful if you'd make some receipes with cinnemon in it. Taking every morning bread with cinnamon in it for example. There are some in the receipe index on the board. If your wife feels like it helps a little you can decide to use it more often or go for the capsules?

Saskia

#369984 - 08/15/13 04:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Since cinnamon is made from the bark of a tree it is almost 100% insoluble fiber. If the capsule contains 1 gram or more of cinnamon like these cinnamon capsules then use with caution. Insoluble fiber is a GI stimulant that can make IBS symptoms worse. Hopefully the GI doc didn't recommend the cinnamon capsules as a source of insoluble fiber

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369987 - 08/15/13 07:31 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Wow, thanks, Syl for this info....I add cinnamon to many things and sometimes when I eat alot I have problems...this could be why!

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

I'd have no problem with it when it is so finely pulverized it's just a powder new
      #369988 - 08/15/13 12:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

and in such a small quantity in a capsule, and probably taken with a meal as well.

I wouldn't gnaw on a whole cinnamon stick, but once it's powdered into the standard spice I'd have no trouble using it. Same with nutmeg, cloves, allspice, etc. If I use them as whole spices to flavor something I remove before serving. But if they're just the powders I use with abandon in cooking.

- H

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#370017 - 08/19/13 10:54 AM
Syl

Cinnamon is a problem for me in larger amounts too - 1 gram per serving would produce serious gas, bloating and pain. There is no clinical evidence to support the notion that finely pulverized cinnamon is not a problem for people with IBS. Pulverizing doesn't change the nature of the insoluble it just makes it finer. When it is finer it can be more rapidly fermented in the colon producing gas and bloating quicker.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

That's really odd, considering cinnamon is a digestive aid... new
      #370018 - 08/19/13 11:40 AM
HeatherAdministrator

it makes a huge difference for me if insoluble fiber is pulverized. I can eat much, much more of it than if it's intact. Gnawing on a whole cinnamon stick wouldn't be so great for me, but adding ground cinnamon as a spice when cooking is actively helpful.

I don't think insoluble fiber ferments, so that shouldn't be an issue for people concerned about that. It's the rapidly fermenting soluble fibers like inulin and FOS that really can cause problems.

Best,
H

--------------------

Re: That's really odd, considering cinnamon is a digestive aid... new
      #370019 - 08/19/13 12:20 PM
Syl

Nutritional Intervention for IBS from UNC Center for Functional GI and Motility Disorders says

"However, since IBS is also associated with visceral hypersensitivity, luminal distension -- as might be caused by the bacterial fermentation of insoluble fiber derived from plant foods that are poorly digested by human enzymes."

Dr. Spiller, well-known GI doctor, reported in Pharnacology of Dietary Fiber in section 2.2 Insoluble fiber subsection 2.2.1 on Cellulose - a major component of insoluble fiber - he says

"This [cellulose] is a major structural component of plants, made of long, unbranched glucose polymers, insoluble in water but capable of binding some water, though less than pectin and guar. It passes largely unaltered through the upper gut, with 85% being excreted in ileostomy output, but is then variably fermented by colonic cellulases, with from 20 to 80% being excreted in normal subjects stool (Holloway et al., 1978; Van Dokkum et al., 1983)".

There are many references to the fermentation of insoluble fiber in the GI literature. In my case insoluble fiber quickly ferments but probably not as quickly as inulin and FOS which are short chained carbohydrates.

I can handle very small amount of powdered cinnamon for flavor but I prefer to use stick cinnamon and then remove it before eating. Large amounts of spices and herbs that is, in the order of 1 to 2 grams, is problematic for me even if they are ground fine.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2346 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6408

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review