All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bentyl anyone?
      #369788 - 07/13/13 10:25 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

My doc prescribed Bentyl for my ongoing D episodes. Does anyone else take Bentyl? How long does it take to "firm things up"? I'm only going in the mornings now, but it's still mushy.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bentyl anyone? new
      #369789 - 07/13/13 03:24 PM
Islandsguy123

Reged: 03/02/11
Loc: Savannah,GA

I'm back on bentyl after stopped using it. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying)a while back. Bentyl may make that worse. But I'm having similar issues as you. My doc said I can take it for my D symptoms when needed. Possibly the IBS and Gastroparesis fluxuates with me. My stomach motility is out of whack.

The Bentyl gives me relief at night when I am in pain. It usually kicks in within 30 minutes. The downside is I feel glazed over and disoriented most of the next day.

What do you eat in the morning? Are you having coffee or caffeine? That's been my trigger mostly. Even black tea is causing me problems.

Re: Bentyl anyone? new
      #369807 - 07/16/13 04:24 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I used to take it years ago but honestly it did not help with my D symptoms. I found that Imodium/lomotil worked much better to help with the flare ups. I think Bentyl was more for the cramping (which I did not have) and more of an anti spasmodic. I know we are all different. I'd give it a try and see if it helps.

Sandy

I had it for years... new
      #369808 - 07/16/13 05:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

helped a bit to take before a meal to head off pain and spasms. Can't say it did more than that, and it made my eyes and mouth so very dry.

Switched to peppermint oil caps and got much stronger results without the dry side effects.

Anti-spasmodics have been around forever, which is great because they have a very long safety record. And they're use as needed, also good, as you don't take the drug on days you don't need it.

Can't hurt to try them, worst case they just won't do enough for you or you'll hate the side effects, but you'll know right away.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I had it for years... new
      #369809 - 07/16/13 09:05 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Yes, Digby - as I mentioned when we spoke, I pretty much had the same experience as Heather - my gastro said unless I had dry mouth and blurred vision, it wasnt enough to 'help.' Almost all of these worked for awhile - or hit or miss - sometimes worked, sometimes not.

As I said, try the Calcium tabs - this worked for a gal who had very bad D after gallbladder removal, in addition to the IBS, so it might be worth a try if the acacia and bentyl, etc. dont help.

At some point, if you are having no luck, then do contact your doctor to make sure there is nothing else going on -

I wish you all the best...

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1506 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4855

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review