All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Best Fibre if you can't get Heather's Acacia right now?
      #369772 - 07/12/13 07:48 AM
Roxstar

Reged: 02/12/12

It will be a little while before I can get Heather's soluble fibre.

In Australia I think the only one that we have is wheat dextrin that is Benefibre. Is that generally well tolerated? I am a sensitive person. Have ashthma, cfs, allergies, fibroymalgia and ibs.

I also apparently suffer from incurable sarcasm But you need a sense of humour when you have these issues.

Is Benefibre ok to have and how much should I have? It's the only thing I haven't really been doing in regards to Heather's guidelines.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Best Fibre if you can't get Heather's Acacia right now? new
      #369774 - 07/12/13 10:21 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Benefiber from wheat dextrin appears to be well tolerated by individuals with IBS. Try to get 15-20 grams a day. You may have to work up to that level.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Yes, and I'd add new
      #369777 - 07/12/13 11:13 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

to start with just 1 gram, twice daily (the label will tell you how many grams per teaspoon/tablespoon). Gradually increase your dose by a gram or so at a time, every 4-5 days or so. It will take a while to get up to the 15-20 gram average, and if you stabilize at a lower dose, stay there.

To transition to the Tummy Fiber, start with a slightly lower dose than what you're up to with the Benefiber, then gradually increase again.

As long as you're not allergic to wheat the dextrin should be fine. Keep your eye on that ingredient list, though, because Benefiber has a tendency to completely change their ingredient without warning - it's been guar gum, inulin, and wheat dextrin at various times/locations.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks Syl and Heather :) new
      #369785 - 07/13/13 07:08 AM
Roxstar

Reged: 02/12/12

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 270 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2161

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review