All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A few questions..THANK YOU
      #369649 - 06/27/13 09:29 PM
Roxstar

Reged: 02/12/12

1. If our IBS is food intolerances like dairy, fats etc...is it true it can be cured? I saw a dietitian and they said to just go off everything for like 6 weeks then slowly introduce it back and I should be able to "cure" it. Now I think this cannot possibly be true.

2. What is Leaky gut and Hashimotos? A Dr told me years back that he suspected I have Hashimotos and leaky gut. How do they relate to IBS?

3. My current GP is lazy. Does not want me investigating IBS any further just wants me to live off loperamide caps and they are saving my life right now but I am scared they will eat my gut through. They are the only thing though that lets me have a normal life. I hope they cant cause long term damage.

4. I seem to get bloated and diarrohea/flatulence even when I eat plain rice and boiled chicken breast no skin. I can't seem to tolerate anything at all. Even Soy milk is a bit iffy for me now I have had to switch to oat milk.
I am not able to eat any kind of salad. I had one slice of tomato on a sandwich and I LOVE tomato and I felt ill.
It's the same with cucumber and lettuce. I am really scared that I will never eat vegies again. I can tolerate a bit of pureed potato, pumpkin and sweet potato but that's it. I tried pureed peas...not so great. I miss cauliflower and broccoli and brussel sprouts. I can't have cabbage either.

I am deficient in so many nutrients it's not funny I have had CFS, fibromyalgia and anxiety. I am trying to lose weight but my muscles refuse to grow. I need to eat more protein.

I have a sweet tooth and I crave coffee and chocolate they are so hard to give up. So so so hard I am completely addicted but I can't eat them.

I was wondering if CLIF BUILDERS BAR and the LUNA BARS are ok to have? This is the link to their nutritional info..

http://www.clifbar.com/ (Click on the Builders Bar)

and this one I like the sound of the S'mores and Mint one:
LUNA BARS:

http://www.lunabar.com/products/luna-bar/smores#ingredients

and here:
http://www.lunabar.com/products/luna-bar/chocolate-peppermint-stick#ingredients

And this protein one:
http://www.lunabar.com/products/luna-protein/chocolate#ingredients

I just wanna be well but it seems the only way I can go out is if I don't eat beforehand. I am also gluten sensitive but not coeliac I had the tests. Dairy makes me have diarrohea badly but I am not lactose intolerant. I also miss yoghurt we cannot get almond or oat milk or rice milk yoghurt here in Australia. ANd I hate soy.
Coconut milk yoghurt gave me such intense cramps and diarrohea I nearly passed out.

I have to go on an overnight camping trip for work in the next month or so. I am TERRIFIED!!! I sometimes just have to think about going and start to get cramps. If I am in the car and I know where there is a toilet nearby I am ok but sometimes if I am in a strange suburb I am so scared that my bowel starts to ache and I kinda "talk" myself into having an attack! But I don't mean to! I really don't I try and relax but I don't know how I can relax the tummy part. It is always tight, sore, red raw and stressed I feel. I feel constantly like I have been punched very hard in the stomach the pain is very high up and also lower near the pelvic region. I am trying everything I can. I just am scared that I won't ever be able to eat anything again and am scared to be anywhere without a toilet. So embarrassing.

By the way thank you to all the nice people here who respond to questions. My login info I am always forgetting so sometimes I don't get a chance to say thank you right away. I really do appreciate it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A few questions..THANK YOU new
      #369652 - 06/28/13 04:26 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

1. IBS is not caused by food intolerance. However, foods can exacerbate the symptoms. There is no currently know cure for IBS. However, dietary changes can help reduce IBS symptoms considerably.

2. No proven relation has been established between leaky gut and IBS. Was the doctor who told you had leaky gut an alternative medicine doctor? Hashimoto's disease is a disease of the thyroid. It can be easily detected and treated by a doctor.

3. Loperamide is not know to have any long term negative effects.

4. Have you tried the FODMAP diet - a clinically tested diet that was developed at Monash University? This diet has been clinically tested in a number of other countries showing the same results - 70-80% improvement in symptoms. You can read about it the first two links in my signature. You can also read about it in Heather's Research Library. Salads and many if not most raw veggies are high in insoluble fiber that can exacerbate IBS symptoms. Read more about in Heather's Eating for IBS diet

Coffee should definitely be removed from your diet as caffeine is a strong GI stimulant that can worsen IBS symptoms.

Clif and Luna Bars are high insoluble fiber - be careful.

You may not be gluten sensitive but sensitive to fructans found in wheat products. Check the FODMAP diet for more information.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369654 - 06/28/13 07:21 AM
Roxstar

Thanks.
I guess the fructose diet freaks me out because the only thing that I seem to tolerate is plain bread and buckwheat pancakes and rice. I am really concerned that if I go on the fructose friendly thing I wont have anything to eat.

I have never been breath-tested but I had blood tests, colonoscopy and endoscopy. All clear except I was a bit intolerant of gluten but not coeliac.

I went to an a natural medicine Dr and they gave me some test where you hols two iron bars in your hand and they are wet. They told me I had candidiasis and that I was allergic to casein.
Is it true that if that is the case then that is what is causing the IBS symptoms or is it more likely I have IBS and the candidiasis is just another thing. THey said to get rid of the candidiasis I'd have to eat no bread, no bananas and they are what I live off! I just do not know what to do all I know is that plain rice and plain things seem to be all I can eat and I am not getting any fruit or veg except really soft pureed pumpkin and banana etc..Scared I am losing too many nutrients.

How important are those breath tests? I dont know anyone who ddoes them where I live in Queensland. But I heard there is a Dr Shepherd in Melbourne but that would be a looong trip for me and expensive.

#369655 - 06/28/13 10:38 AM
Syl

The FODMAP diet works well for many people. It isn't as restrictive as you might think. From personal experience I can tell you it works quite well. And the fructose test is simply a breath test. You drink some fructose and they monitor your breath gases. Clincal studies have shown that individuals with IBS can be much more sensitive to foods with excess fructose such as apples than normal individuals with fructose problems. This is due to the extreme gut sensitivity of individuals with IBS. The excess fructose is fermented by bacteria in the colon. The gas produces pressure triggering IBS symptoms. It is worth having the test. The focus of the FODMAP diet is to reduce gas in the colon from a variety of food sources including fructans in wheat, garlic and onions. Many individuals mistake this sensitivity to a gluten sensitivity even though they test negative to celiac disease.

The natural medicine doctor you saw sounds like a real quack. I stay as far away as I can from them when it comes to IBS issues. No medical conditions can be detected by hold iron bars Candida in the colon has not been shown to exist in individuals with IBS - this is common diagnosis used by alternative medicine individuals.

There are many dietitian in the Australia that are very knowledgeable about the FODMAP diet. Perhaps you could contact Dr. Shepherd's and ask for the name of a knowledgeable dietitian in you area. It will worth giving it a try.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#369656 - 06/28/13 12:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - get tested, and don't worry about not making changes if you have good reason to believe they won't help you.

The fructose/FODMAPS issue varies tremendously from person to person, and even with just one person they can have a sensitivity to some elements, but not others. It involves some trial and error to figure out what you, specifically, might be sensitive to. You eliminate everything at first, then carefully add back in elements one at a time to identify what, for you specifically, causes problems. Might be all of them, might be a few, might even be none at all.

If you know you have a safe staple, don't give it up because someone else has issues with it. I'm on the same page as you when it comes to plain white breads, for example. I don't give a darn if other people are sensitive to fructans or gluten in wheat - I know for a fact I am not, so I am never giving up French bread when I know it is a guaranteed safe staple for my gut. But this is my gut - people who DO have issues with fructans or gluten are going to have to go with rice, or some other safe staple, that fits their gut. I have to pass that info along to them, but I don't have to apply it to myself when it doesn't fit.

So stick with what you know works for you. And cautiously trial and error potential triggers you are not sure about. And get tested for those you can be tested for to proactively identify as much as possible.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#369660 - 06/29/13 09:55 PM
Roxstar

Thanks guys.
So I should ask for a fructose breath test and SIBO test? I will try and get them done as soon as I can find someone who will be willing to do them.

Shame on the Drs here!

Also, I know this is a long shot...but if someone simply has a dairy intolerance and they go off dairy then back on it is it true they can be "cured". I would just hate to think that all of my problems could simply be an intolerance that I might be able to get over if I simply went off those foods for a while.

BBut then again, red meat is a major trigger. And coffee. And chocolate. I think it IS IBS.

#369661 - 06/30/13 05:16 AM
Syl

Unfortunately, dairy intolerances cannot be cured by removing it from your diet for a while. If the problem with diary is lactose intolerance this is due to the loss of an enzyme which cannot be recovered. Fortunately, dairy products are not a problem for most individuals with IBS. However, it is quite debilitating for those that are sensitive to these products. Like all things IBS there aren't any universal rules

--------------------

#369663 - 06/30/13 09:04 PM
Roxstar

What if you are very dairy intolerant but not lactose intolerant? I am not lactose intolerant but dairy intolerant and casein is a big issue for me too

#369664 - 07/01/13 04:17 AM
Syl

It is unlikely that the problem will go away.

--------------------

Not uncommon... new
      #369678 - 07/01/13 05:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm not lactose intolerant. But dairy is a huge IBS trigger for me, as for most people. It's the fat, casein, whey, AND lactose. You just can't get dairy with all of those elements removed.

You should be tested for lactose intolerance (and fructose, gluten, etc.) because those can masquerade as IBS. And if you "just" have a food intolerance, removing that one food can completely resolve your symptoms.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1273 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6116

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review