All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Thoughts about Coffee, Bacteria and Fodmaps
      #369404 - 04/07/13 02:05 PM
Islandsguy123

Reged: 03/02/11
Loc: Savannah,GA

I was wondering if there may be a connection about the effects of coffee and bacterial overgrowth.

My main issues are seeing undigested food, often fiber and fat in my bm after I have coffee. I often get gassy and bloated later in the day or overnight.

Could the forced gastric emptying from the coffee into the small intestine disturb the natural bacteria in my gut? I think that some partially undigested food may get in the area where my bacteria are. Then it could ferment and cause the excess gas/bloating I have.

Does that sound like it's possible? Has there been any research done regarding gastric emptying of coffee and bacteria in the gut?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thoughts about Coffee, Bacteria and Fodmaps new
      #369405 - 04/07/13 04:26 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is unlikely there is a causal relationship between caffeine in coffee or any other beverage and bacterial overgrowth.

There is a causal relationship between caffeine containing beverages and bowel spasms. Caffeine is a powerful GI stimulant that is known to exacerbate IBS symptoms as well as many other GI disorders.

Have you tried removable all caffeinate beverages from you diet?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369406 - 04/08/13 07:27 AM
Islandsguy123

I'm trying to wean off now and it's been difficult for me. Today I'm only have some black tea instead of coffee. Wanted to go cold turkey, but the headaches are bad.

What I was getting at is not the beverage itself making the bacteria problem, but the spasm actually speeding my food along in my gut and fermenting possibly. The spasm from coffee causes me to go to the bathroom and I often see undigested food/loose stool. The other half of my issue is bloating and gas. Since I started taking probiotics, it's helped cut that down a lot.

Maybe it's two separate issues. I'm just trying to make some sense of it all. Thanks.

#369409 - 04/08/13 08:14 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Undigested food is definitely indicative of fast movement of food through the GI tract. Caffeine can contribute to this problem. And if food is coming out undigested it hasn't had enough time to ferment.

Black tea actually can have more caffeine than a coffee.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369410 - 04/08/13 08:42 AM
Islandsguy123

Quote:

Black tea actually has more caffeine than a coffee.

Coffee is usually more. In any case, it depends on the amount and how strong it's brewed.

An 8 oz. black tea is typically around 60-80 mg. An 8 oz coffee can be 120-160 mg. Energy Fiend Caffeine Amounts

I have been trying some herbal teas. I had a coconut rooibos tea that was delicious.

Your transition off coffee is a good one... new
      #369411 - 04/08/13 05:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it is smart to switch to something else that is caffeinated, but not coffee, as that will at least take the GI irritant factor of coffee beans out of the equation. Keeping on the caffeine with prevent headaches. Black or green tea can both work for this.

Then gradually start mixing in decaf tea with the caffeinated, so you can wean yourself off the caffeine entirely. If you allow a week or two to do this, you should be able to avoid the caffeine withdrawal headaches.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 364 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3412

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review