All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about Fiber Content in Product - Is it reasonable that their label is right?
      #369284 - 02/28/13 04:35 PM
StevieB160

Reged: 02/28/13

I've read these boards for a long time but never posted. I follow soluble/insoluble fiber rules as much as possible while still trying to eat healthy and balanced. As a vegan, I have used the product Vega as essentially a protein, nutrient-laden, drink. There is a cheaper product that i recently started using that actually breaks down the Fiber content into soluble and insoluble fiber which most labels don't do. Vega didnt even reply to my question about their fiber breakdown. The product I now use is "Garden of Life's Raw Meal - Chocolate" . It states that it has 16 grams of fiber per serving and that 13 grams of fiber are soluble while 3 are insoluble. Is this possible?

I've found soluble vs insoluble numbers for some basic foods to vary WIDELY across different sources so I am always a bit skeptical. Looking at their ingredients of sprouts and various fruits, is it reasonable that there is a 4:1 Soluble to Insoluble ratio. I am usually happy to get foods that are 1:1 ratio.

http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/Foundational-Nutrition/RAW-Meal.aspx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about Fiber Content in Product - Is it reasonable that their label is right? new
      #369285 - 02/28/13 04:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I can't find an actual ingredient list at that link - that would be helpful, as there might be something in there that is just very high in soluble fiber.

That is an unusual ratio, and also an unusual dose - 16 grams of fiber per one serving of anything is a LOT. The average American gets about 10 grams of fiber - total - per day from their diet. So this stuff is super, duper high in fiber.

Since it is a powder, any insoluble fiber in there is going to be very finely ground, and thus likely to be pretty tolerable. My bigger worry is that total fiber content. If you're used to a high fiber diet, then great, you don't have to worry. But if your fiber intake hasn't been that high, I'd start with just 1/4 serving size of this stuff and gradually increase.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather new
      #369286 - 02/28/13 05:06 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

if you click on the product picture to the right, it gives the ingredients. It looks like a lot of insoluble fiber to me.

Re: Question about Fiber Content in Product - Is it reasonable that their label is right? new
      #369293 - 03/01/13 06:42 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

The Garden of Life Raw Meal contains

Organic Raw Sprout Blend (Organic Sprouted Brown Rice, Organic Sprouted Brown Rice Sweetener (from Organic Sprouted Brown Rice)), Organic Amaranth Sprout, Organic Quinoa Sprout, Organic Millet Sprout, Organic Buckwheat Sprout, Organic Garbanzo Bean Sprout, Organic Kidney Bean Sprout, Organic Lentil Sprout, Organic Adzuki Bean Sprout, Organic Flax Seed Sprout, Organic Sunflower Seed Sprout, Organic Pumpkin Seed Sprout, Organic Chai Seed Sprout, Organic Sesame Seed Sprout), Organic RAW Flax and Coconut Blend (Organic Flax flour, Organic Coconut flour), RAW Green Food and Fruit Blend (Organic Oat Grass juice, Spirulina, High Protein Chlorella, Organic Alfalfa Grass Juice, Organic Barley Grass Juice, Organic Wheat Grass Juice, Organic Strawberry, Organic Cherry, Organic Blackberry, Organic Blueberry, Organic Raspberry), RAW Enzyme and Probiotic Blend (Bacillus coagulans, Proteases, Amylase, Lactase, Glucoamylase, alpha-Galactosidase, Lipase, Pectinase, Peptidase, Bromelain, Phytase, Hemicellulase, beta-Glucanase, Papain, Cellulase, Xylanase, Diastase, Invertase), Organic RAW Vanilla Extract, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Lactobacillus bulgaricus.

And the label claims it contains 13 gram soluble and 3 grams insoluble fiber per 87 grams (2 scoops) OR 15% soluble and 3.5% insoluble fiber.

The reason insoluble fiber is lower than soluble fiber is because the grains and seeds have been sprouted and hence the seed/grain coats (bran) have been removed. Since the product is a powder the juice is evaporated but perhaps it leaves some flavour and a bit of fiber/protein residue. Many of the included digestive enzymes such as cellulase are of little value to humans and they inactivated by the stomach acid.

This product is a very high fiber product and some of raw ingredients may cause gas. Be careful if you use it and start with a very small amount - perhaps a tablespoon or so. You might be try a pure soluble fiber supplement.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369294 - 03/01/13 10:05 AM
StevieB160

Reged: 02/28/13

Thank you all for your responses. I have always eaten a fairly high fiber diet and pay most attention to consuming mangos, bananas, etc. before whole grains and vegetables. I've just been using half servings of this product, which by their numbers, would be 6.5 soluble and 1.75 insoluble and will continue to do so. The full serving would be too much fiber! I guess the best indicator is just seeing how it affects me which has been good so far. I've always felt that the various powders have been fine for me. As Cindy stated, my first reaction looking at the ingredient list was that this is an insoluble fiber drink mostly that I'd have to protect against with consuming something first, but I was unaware of what the sprouting process does to the fiber combination. Thanks again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1896 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2952

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review