All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
doing so good, now a bad morning
      #369275 - 02/28/13 11:29 AM
sderksen

Reged: 02/03/13
Loc: Manitoba, Canada

I've been strictly following the IBS diet and using the fiber and teas faithfully for just over 3 weeks now. The peppermint pills unfortunately I can't seem to use. It doesn't matter when I take them I get really bad heartburn so I think I'll stop taking them unless someone has a different suggestion?

I've had great results with the fiber, teas and diet changes and for 3 weeks had absolutely NO attacks. Then the other morning I did and wow! it came back to me very quickly how horrible it is to have IBS; the pain just about made me pass out

The only thing I can think of is the white beans I had in the soup I made the night before; and yes, it was a recipe from Heather's cookbook. Would that make sense? Now I don't know if i should be avoiding beans altogether. I'm too scared to experiment by trying some again to find out.

--------------------
Shannon

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hang in there.... new
      #369277 - 02/28/13 11:39 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

the one good thing about being stable and then having an attack is that it is much faster and easier to get stable again.

Do you normally eat beans and lentils? Beans contain raffinose, bean sugar, and if you're not used to eating that your gut has to get used to it. It normally only takes about 1/4 cup of beans in any form (including soy milk) a day for about a week for your gut to get used to more raffinose.

So it might have been what you ate, or it might have been an outside stress factor (lack of sleep, another illness like a cold coming on, severe hot or cold weather, etc.). Or it might have just been out of the blue, which can happen with IBS.

Drop back to the plain soluble fiber foods for a day or two, drink so much peppermint/fennel tea you can't stand it, and get extra sleep. You should stabilize quickly.

XXOO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: doing so good, now a bad morning new
      #369292 - 03/01/13 06:06 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Many kinds of legumes including white beans can be problematic for individuals with IBS. They contain the complex sugar raffinose which the human body cannot breakdown to use. As a result it ends up in the colon where it can produce D and colonic bacteria can break it down to produce gas. If you eat beans a number of days in a row the bacteria population in the colon that breaks raffinose increases resulting in more gas being produced more quickly but less D.

If you boil the beans and let them sit for a hour or so then throw out the water and boil them again in fresh water you can reduce the amount of raffinose in things like white beans. And if this doesn't work you might try taking Beano before eating white beans.

However, some people even those without IBS can have difficulties with gas from beans no matter how often they eat them or how they prepare them.

You can read more about the problem with legumes and other foods for individuals with functional bowel disorders like IBS in the first two link in my signature.

Also, white beans are high in insoluble fiber. They contain about 0.5 grams soluble fiber and 4.0 grams of insoluble fiber per 1/2 cup which can be an additional problem for individuals with IBS.

I cannot tolerate beans of any kind no matter how they are prepared.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369297 - 03/01/13 01:34 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

It could have been about anything the way IBS goes. I wouldn't give up on the beans just yet. As Heather says, it could take your gut a bit of time to get used to them. I use beans in dips quite a bit, and the small white beans in soups. Certainly decrease the amount you eat, but I would give it another try. Read Heather's response if you haven't already.

#369300 - 03/02/13 01:30 PM
KarieB

Reged: 01/30/13

I take 2 Beanos prior to eating beans and I eat them in moderation...I love them, but I cannot overeat. I made the black bean dip of Heather's (yum...without so much garlic) and I mix in a tablespoon of acacia fiber. So far so good with beans; I do still get a little gassy, though...no attacks...knock on wood!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2465

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review