Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
working night shift with IBS
      #369166 - 02/06/13 05:17 AM
cherryeyes

Reged: 10/09/10
Loc: sweden

hey all,

I have had diagnosed IBS for several years now, no D nor C.. just massive cramps and bloating. I have been vegan for 12 years and i just started to get my IBS under control with diet and aloe vera until recently when I started working the night shift at a home for unaccompanied minors seeking asylum. I immediately noticed my cramps and bloating coming back with full force and I just hope that there is someone out there with some advice as to how to handle working night with having IBS. Until now I've just been eating a late dinner before work and then a banana and sandwich at midnight and then a smoothie on my way home before I go to sleep. I usually manage to keep the cramps at bay at night but its at the end of the shift that it comes back and then the whole day after accompanied with nausea.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: working night shift with IBS new
      #369167 - 02/06/13 05:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Night and rotating shifts are known to exacerbate IBS symptoms. It effects the endogenous biorhythms such as melatonin production. Besides affects on sleep patterns melatonin is a powerful GI regulatory hormone too. The article The Impact of Rotating Shift Work on the Prevalence of Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Nurses may give you some interesting insights. Science Daily has a nice article on Shift Workers at More Risk for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Study Finds

Have you tried following Heather's Eating for IBS diet? In particular have you tried reducing insoluble fiber consumption and increasing soluble fiber consumption?

Something else you could try is a diet that has been clinically tested on large numbers of IBS suffers. You can read about it in the first three links in my signature. This diet has been clinically designed to reduce bloating, gas and cramping in individuals with functional bowel disorders such as IBS. It has been shown to reduce symptoms 65-75%. Many of us on the board follow it in combination with the Eating for IBS diet.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369168 - 02/06/13 12:44 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I would begin with Heather's diet. There is all the info you need right on these boards on where to start and how to proceed. Her books should be available at your local library.

I noticed that you said your issues were usually at the end of your shift? Is it a stressful position? It could be a combination of diet, night work, and the nature of your job. So, a great place to start is Heather's diet. You could also try the hypnosis cds sold here or some of other means of relaxation, including exercise. As far as the night shift goes, is there any way you could make changes there?

Also, I am a vegetarian, working toward becoming a vegan. I post alot on the Veggie Board.

This may be tough to resolve... new
      #369171 - 02/06/13 04:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

any disruption to your normal sleep rhythms can really affect IBS. Losing sleep, changing sleep patterns, stress, and even weather can all drastically affect serotonin levels in your body, and cause IBS flares as a result.

You may have to make great efforts with your diet, stress management, exercise, and getting extra sleep whenever possible to overcome the physical stress the night shift is putting on your body.

Is this a long term position or can you get back to day shifts in the future?

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: This may be tough to resolve... new
      #369210 - 02/19/13 07:47 AM
cherryeyes

Reged: 10/09/10
Loc: sweden

After working for almost a month now my cramps are just getting worse and worse. Now I'm cramping up in the evening before even going to work and the cramps persist throughout the work shift and when i return home. I even wake up with them and that hasn't happened before.

This is a long term position without the possibility to work day shifts so I may have to consider resigning. Especially since I in fact have gotten so much better with the Heather diet of soluble fibers etc. just to have it go back to square one...

I am so sorry.... new
      #369214 - 02/19/13 10:53 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

sometimes I think your body just can't take certain stress factors. Other people may be fine, but even without IBS a night shift may just be so hard on you physically it's intolerable.

I had something kind of similar happen to me when I lived in New England for several years. The hot, humid summers just killed me - it took so much effort, every day, just to keep my IBS stable. I was fighting my environment and my body was fighting back. I realized I would never win this battle with my body, and I had to leave that climate.

It meant leaving a great job, moving clear across the country, uprooting my whole life, home, etc. And it wasn't just me, it was my husband's life as well.

But now I can actually enjoy the summers again, and I'm not fighting my own body to try and stay well. It was a decision I would make again without hesitation.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Do consider this - might be helpful... new
      #369224 - 02/19/13 11:36 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

I am so sorry to learn of your problems, but do consider the hypnotherapy as a possible help - the sessions promote not only relief in pain, cramping and IBS symptoms by breaking the brain-gut connection and as an adjunct to diet and supplements, etc. but the sessions are also great for better sleep as well - and in your situation, this may be a double bonus for you to possibly consider... in fact, many folks report better sleep as one of the first benefits they see, so might be a thought for you...

I wish you all the best - take care.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#369255 - 02/25/13 08:43 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I've been on 12 hour rotating shifts for 32 years. 2 weeks of graveyards and then two weeks of dayshifts. My sleep rhythm is now normally messed up.

What helped me through it, and still helping, is keeping something in my system.
Bananas, pretzels, rice krispies, and peppermint teas.
And exercise, meditation, & and just trying to keep a positive attitude.

Lots of peppermint tea.

Good luck!

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 409 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16663

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review