Reged: 03/05/05

And take the skin off? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how do you roast a red pepper new
      #368960 - 01/04/13 04:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Put it under your broiler on the top shelf and let it char till black on all sides. Take out of oven and let cool, then skin will slide right off.

If you have a gas stove you can also char it over the gas flame.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: how do you roast a red pepper new
      #368962 - 01/04/13 04:53 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Easy - I do it all of the time.

De-seed peppers sliced into quarters. Put in roasting pan and lightly cover with olive oil. Just a bit of oil not a lot.

Heat oven to 350-375.

Once hot put pan into oven for 45-60 minutes. Stir ever 10 minutes after the first 30 minutes.

When peppers are very soft remove from oven, place them in a covered bowl and all them to cool. Once cool the skins come off easy. Peppers are ready to use.

The juice left in the covered bowl is wonderful to use in sauces too.

Enjoy

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Can I just put them on a cookie baking sheet?-nt new
      #368992 - 01/10/13 12:35 PM
Cyndy

Re: Can I just put them on a cookie baking sheet?-nt new
      #368995 - 01/10/13 01:10 PM
Syl

It is better to use a shallow pan but if you have to a bake sheet will work too.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Can I just put them on a cookie baking sheet?-nt new
      #368996 - 01/10/13 01:17 PM
Cyndy

how about a pyrex pan?

Yes. nt new
      #369003 - 01/10/13 05:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

syl new
      #369073 - 01/18/13 01:32 PM
Cyndy

how much olive oil do you usually add to one cooked pepper or your sauteed zucchini? I put 1/3 tsp on one pepper. Is that too little? Also, can you cook maybe three of them at once and then freeze the rest? How much is a safe amount to eat at a meal? I'm thinking I will probably add it to a grain...but do you ever just eat it as a side dish?

Re: syl new
      #369075 - 01/18/13 03:14 PM
Syl

I use about 1/2 tsp for 1/4 medium size zucchini.

I coat 3-4 red pepper cut into 6 slices each with about 1 tbsp of oil before roasting. I put a tbsp on the peppers and wipe the oil over all surfaces by hand.

After the peppers are cooked you let them cool in a cover dish. The skins peel off real easy. I wrap one serving of roasted red pepper in a food wrap, I place all of the portions in a plastic bag and freeze. When I need a portion I defrost and use. A safe amount can very but perhaps you could start with a 1/6 slice just as originally cut.

You might consider backing away from grain for a bit and sticking with white rice, potatoes, pasta, etc if you are trying to reduce insoluble fiber in take. You can add the grains back later once the pains is settled.

--------------------

#369076 - 01/18/13 03:20 PM
Cyndy

Only 1/6th of one little slice of a whole pepper? Is that all the veggie in the entire meal? I was planning on adding about 1/3 cup of peas too.

I already made quinoa, which heather has listed as sf.

#369077 - 01/18/13 03:43 PM
Syl

Here is what I might eat. You maybe different -- 1/6 of a peeled roasted red pepper, 1/5 -1/4 fried peeled medium zucchini and 1 medium peel boiled carrot.

Peas are off the menu for me. To much insoluble fiber. They maybe okay for you. You will have to figure that out for yourself.

Quinoa is not safe for me. It is for others. Again this is a higher insoluble fiber food that may or may not be safe for you. It is something you will have to figure out for yourself.

--------------------

did you peel the skin off with your fingers? new
      #369078 - 01/18/13 04:01 PM
Cyndy

I had a hard time...so slimey I couldn't get a grip on them. I think I really need more IF than what you eat. You don't eat any. I assume you eat the above mentioned veggies with white rice or potatoe, right.

Re: did you peel the skin off with your fingers? new
      #369080 - 01/19/13 03:46 AM
Syl

Yes - it is very easy to peel the skins with your fingers! Oh - and even without the skins red peppers still contain some insoluble fiber. In fact,all veggies and fruits that are peeled contain insoluble fiber. Peeling just removes a significant amount of insoluble fiber but not all of it.

You are making assumptions that you need more insoluble fiber than I do. Have you looked at Heather's Break the Cycle diet which is used to break the cycle of pain. If no, then have a look at it. It contains almost no insoluble fiber. It might be the first step to reducing your pain.

Perhaps you should re-read Heather's information about insoluble fiber foods over again closely. Once you have broken the pain cycle with very very low insoluble fiber foods, etc you can then SLOWLY start introducing foods with more insoluble fiber.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5530 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5110

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review