All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Texture
      #368776 - 12/10/12 06:25 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

One of the things that I miss most following a low fibre diet along EFI guidelines is contrasting textures. For example; the crunch of raw vegetables against soft bread or noodles, or crispy granola cereal with nuts and seeds with yogurt or a handful of berries with a creamy rice pudding. Different textures help to make meals more interesting. I realise that the diet advocates including as much insoluble fibre as possible, however, for those (like me) that can't tolerate raw vegetables/wholegrains/nuts etc. (even in small quantities when accompanied by a larger portion of soluble fibre) does anyone have any suggestions for safely adding texture to meals and snacks?

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Texture new
      #368785 - 12/13/12 03:59 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/file/ourservices/service_nutrition_fiber.pdf

there is this link, which shows that some of the raw veggies out there are not so offending. I am quite sensitive to IF but do well with SFS and even alone, I can eat raw bell peppers, raw cucumbers, raw carrots, raw iceberg salad. In reasonable quantities of course. I can also eat walnuts or hazelnuts, not ground (grinding doesn't make a difference) but there it's the fat content that I have to be careful about so I literally eat something like 3 walnuts maximum in any one meal. 3 walnuts have negligible amounts of fibre.

Can't think of any other solution.
Perhaps toasting bread - makes it more crunchy.
And shrimp as a protein source is not as soft as chicken.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

How about baked corn or potato chips for crunch? Or safe crackers, new
      #368786 - 12/13/12 12:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

crusty French or sourdough breads, rice cakes, etc.

Small amounts of chopped nuts can add texture as well.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#368791 - 12/14/12 12:32 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yep - the options are limited for me too. Here are a few crunchy things I eat

A motza which is a big cracker, 6"x6", made from white flour, water and salt available in packages of a dozen or so at many supermarkets and delis. I break one in half and use the two halves to make a peanut butter and home jam or jelly sandwich. It has lots of crunch.

Pretzels free of HFCS are crunchy too as well as low fat potato chips. You can even put a few potato chips in a sandwich to give it some crunch too.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368809 - 12/18/12 02:03 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I should've perhaps mentioned that I don't eat gluten. This further reduces my options as gluten-free foods (bread, biscuits, crackers etc)often contain unsafe ingredients.

I'll continue to try to eat as much IF as possible. I find that I tolerate the IF in fruit and vegetables better than IF from wholegrain cereals. Is there any reason why this might seem to be the case?

Many thanks.

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#368810 - 12/18/12 03:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Whole cereal grains contain a bran cover around the seed which is composed of cellulose and other things. Typical fruits and veggies have a waxy cuticle which has a different chemical composition than bran. Bran is well known to be problematic for many individuals with IBS. The cuticle can be problematic for some people too.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368826 - 12/20/12 12:12 PM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I think many of us tolerate IF from fruit and veg better than wholegrains. Besides there is not that much going for wholegrains, apart from them apparently keeping you fuller longer (which I am still dubious about, as it doesn't keep you fuller for like 4 hours longer, I thought it was a matter of mins or something...) fruit and veg are v healthy and full of nutrients and antioxidants.

even if one can tolerate IF with SFS, too much fibre in itself (overall) can cause bloating and other symptoms, so I tend to eat all my fibre (whether IF or SF/SFS) through fruit and vegetables to maximise the health benefits of the food I'm eating. I wouldn't waste it on wholegrains as it were.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1494 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3243

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review