All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need help with gas before I lose my job
      #368698 - 11/26/12 07:39 PM
Deborah_A

Reged: 10/22/12

I recently discovered Heather's website after being told my gas was so bad that all my co-workers were complaining to my boss. I'm sure I've had IBS since adolescence, but didn't know it was a specific ailment until a couple of years ago. I certainly didn't know there was anything to be done about it until this came up. It may be worse now since I have had heart valve replacement and am on blood thinner. I need to eat a consistent amount of vegetables with Vitamin K and most of the veggies high in K are IBS triggers. When I asked my doctor about the issue he said "with the medications you're on and the healthy diet you need, you're going to have gas!" but my work is not sympathetic. I've been drinking Heather's fennel tea and taking the acacia, but I'm only up to 2 - 3 teaspoons per day. What is the most effective way to eliminate gas?
Today I was put on a 6 month probation for this.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need help with gas before I lose my job new
      #368699 - 11/27/12 03:42 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Presumably you follow Heather's Eating for IBS diet.

It is the bacteria in the large intestine that produce gases some that contain sulfur which produces an unpleasant odor. Did you know that vitamin K is also made by the bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract besides getting it from foods?

It would be helpful if you could list the meals and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It may give us some clues to help you reduce the amount and kind of gas you are producing

Did your doctor tell you to eat food high in vitamin K? If you are on a blood thinner aren't you suppose to limit the amount of vitamin K you consume? Vitamin K is know to block the action of blood thinners such as warfarin ?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368704 - 11/27/12 11:11 AM
Deborah_A

Thanks, Syl. No, I didn't know/remember that gut flora produced Vit. K. My doctor didn't say that I should eat lots of high K food, he just said I should try to be consistent and we would adjust the dosage of my warfarin. However, many healthy foods (such as green, leafy vegetables and broccoli) are high in K. In the summer, I tend to eat salads often and I have long enjoyed raw veggies for snacks. Now I avoid these things, or have my salad at the end of a meal. He wants me to eat a heart and diabetes healthy diet which means plenty of vegetables.

I have been trying to follow Heather's diet pretty strictly, but I did fall off the wagon some for Thanksgiving. A typical breakfast is acacia powder with soy or almond milk, plus either toast (white) with peanut butter or soy cheese, a bagel with soy cream cheese or hot or cereal (a safe kind like Kix or instant oatmeal). Most mornings I have a banana, also. The dairy-substitue selection in my area is very small, even though I live in a pretty big city. I wonder if the fat content is too high in the dairy substitutes or peanut butter? I usually have a snack mid morning. That has often been a muffin or bagel unless I'm really hungry and have a breakfast burrito made with egg whites, no cheese, and lightly sauteed veggies. Lunch varies more. Our cafeteria makes some great soups, plus the have a good little salad bar. When they have grilled/roasted vegetables, I use them and some chicken to make a meal. I avoid the dairy based dressings and soups. Except for my lapse over the holiday weekend, I have largely sworn off red meat, coffee, black tea, dairy, egg yolks, pop and alcohol (which I rarely drank anyway) and fatty snacks like potato chips. I cut back on chocolate, but it's hard to give it up entirely. Supper is hard for me as I eat alone often and don't feel like cooking much. It's easy to snack all evening, but I try to make them fairly healthy snacks, like hummus and whole grain crackers. One thing I don't understand is the timing. How long between when I eat something that's a trigger for me and when I feel the effects, whether pain or gas?

I think I mostly know how to follow Heather's diet, although there could be some hidden sources of dairy/eggs/fat that I haven't realized. the tortillas, for instance, might be a problem. Will I not be able to eliminate the gas unless I adhere to it perfectly? Do I really have to eliminate all traces of egg yolks and milk from my diet? Can I never have a piece of pizza with my family?

I drink Heather's fennel tea most days. I haven't quite figured out the timing for taking the peppermint caps but I have them and will keep trying. I've read about the low-fodmap diet and maybe that's the next thing I need to try.

#368705 - 11/27/12 11:23 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I am so sorry. Outside the dietary aspect of this, I think you should see an attorney. It doesn't sound likely that your company can put you on probation or fire you for a medical problem, which is what you have. Your doctor has come right out and said that with your history and your required diet, you will have gas.

Your company is likely legally obligated to accomodate you, and probably cannot penalize or terminate you for this. If at all possible please find a labor attorney and see what kind of grounds you have. All it may take is a letter from a lawyer to your company.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#368707 - 11/27/12 11:46 AM
Syl

There are lots of other foods that can cause gas. You can read more about them at the Ohio State University, Wexner Medical Center web site. Also, the first three links in my signature will give you information on other foods that can produce gas in the colon.

I suspect the reason the doctor told you to keep your Vitamin K intake consistent was to keep the effect of warfarin dosage constant. If you consume more Vitamin K than usual then the effect of it goes down. If you consume less it goes it. Is it possible that you might have to reduce your consumption of high insoluble fiber foods? This might mean reducing your Vitamin K consumption and therefore you might have to reduce the amount of blood thinner you are taking. This is something you might talk to you doctor about. You might take print out the article in the second link and take to your doctor when you talk about dietary changes to manage IBS

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#368712 - 11/29/12 10:46 AM
Deborah_A

thanks for your feedback. I read the article in your link. I read the links in your signature earlier. There is so much that I need to change to follow both Heather's EFI and the FODMAP approach as well as some of the behavior changes Heather recommends that it is taking me awhile to absorb and implement it. What I really need to know is what is most likely to be effective for the gas issue. Yes, I appreciate how the fiber is helping my constipation issue, but that doesn't affect anyone but me. Do you think the FODMAP "diet" is the most effective for reducing gas? What behaviors will specifically help? I've stopped drinking through straws, for instance. It's not that I'm not willing to "do it all", but I know I can only handle so much before I'm overwhelmed. The stress of knowing my job is on the line aggravates the IBS, of course. Any idea if yoga is especially beneficial for gas or is it more for constipation/cramps/diarrhea? I'm drinking more water than I used to, but maybe it's still not enough. I don't get enough exercise, so I could work harder on finding time for that, but would it be more effective for now to concentrate on my diet? Researching recipes, shopping for special ingredients or just checking labels to make sure they don't have no-nos and then cooking from scratch all takes time. I appreciate any wisdom you can offer.

#368713 - 11/29/12 11:21 AM
Syl

Both Heather's EFI diet and the FODMAP diet are focused on reducing IBS symptoms. The FODMAP diet has a strong focus on the reduction of intestinal gas. The only thing that will reduce gas production is modification of your diet. Unfortunately, I don't know of any other approach that is likely to help much other than dietary changes.

--------------------

Dietary changes are the best bet for preventing gas, though new
      #368715 - 11/29/12 12:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

gas with IBS can also come from mis-timed bowel contractions, and gut-directed hypnotherapy can address that. Yoga might also be helpful - it does seem to help get bowel contractions back to a regular, rhythmic flow. Yoga will also help expel gas (there are specific gas relieving poses).

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#368718 - 11/29/12 05:41 PM
nutritionlover

Reged: 09/18/11

While everyone is different, I find that fiber is more of an an issue than fat when it comes to gas (too much fat is more likely to cause diarrhea for me). Dairy, raw fruits & veggies, nuts, beans and whole grains (except oats) seem to be the most gas causing things for me. Make sure you'e always getting enough soluble fiber and experiment with those insoluble fiber filled foods to see if any are specific culprits. Also, don't ever mix fruit and protein together, that's a huge recipe for gas for me! Digestive enzymes with meals and moving around (even for just 10 minutes) after eating seems to help as well.

--------------------
IBS A (more D than C). Severe GERD & Hiatal Hernia as well.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

#368726 - 12/02/12 09:15 PM
Deborah_A

Thank you for your response. I'm willing to change my diet if it will help the symptoms, I just am overwhelmed at all the details. Is there a cheat sheet that combines the EFI and FODMAP approaches? There is a lot of agreement, but some differences too. After reading one of the links you gave me, I am afraid I will need to eliminate wheat, rye and barley for the FODMAP approach, which makes it much more challenging. How do I know for certain that gluten is a problem? How much is a problem? Is it enough just to not eat bread and crackers or do I have to eliminate all traces of it? I'm trying to follow the FODMAP guidelines already. I just want to be sure that I'm focusing on what will be most likely to help with the gas first. Thanks again.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 380 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6205

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review