All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather, please help and weigh in!!
      #368644 - 11/25/12 08:45 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Should we be following the FODMAP diet in order to aleviate our symptoms? Please help me. I'm so confused. Pease tell us what to do!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather, please help and weigh in!! new
      #368685 - 11/25/12 07:02 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Cyndy, I realize this post is directed to Heather, but I couldn't help reading your ongoing posts. You are going to make your condition worse with all the anxiety and worry. You want someone to give you hard and fast rules and there aren't any.

I believe Heather already weighed in on the FODMAP approach. I personally think you could use some relaxation or meditation or something to relieve your anxiety. You are only exacerbating your condition hanging around these boards and fretting over what to do. Follow Heather's plan, and tweak it a bit if needed. Only you can say what will work for you. Others cannot tell you this.

This is so true, an idea for us cyndi new
      #368686 - 11/25/12 07:20 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

I think gerikat has good advice for us both cyndi how about we go on a forced vacation from all this, two weeks, no boards, no obsessing no researching, pick out a basic diet, efi Btc, whatever and eat it for two weeks, not the rest of your life, or anything just so you get food in you, it's a vacation from obsessing about all this, heck THAt might be our cure meet you back here December 8th and see where we are, I think it will be a better place

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Edited by Dizzy (11/25/12 07:22 PM)

Re: This is so true, an idea for us cyndi new
      #368689 - 11/26/12 09:17 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Even if I go off the boards,I cannot erase all the conflicting food list suggestions that I have already read. And I don't remember Heather's opinion on the FODMAP diet.Thank you for your suggestion and concern. Maybe I can try. I try so hard to feel better. I just feel like I have to keep researching for my answers so I don't have to live this way anymore. (tears) I wouldnt know what to eat, gals. I'm having bad morning anyhow. I'm just tired of all this.

Re: This is so true, an idea for us cyndi new
      #368693 - 11/26/12 12:54 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to make you cry. If you were dx with IBS, then you do have to find a way to live with it. We all do the best we can. My point to you was, in your posts you seemed so obsessed and chaotic. It's ok to research and ask for help and info, but the answers don't come from without, but from within. We are all tired of it, but it is the hand we were dealt. You say you will try so hard to feel better. Maybe you are trying to hard.

I doubt I will find those posts from Heather, but I remember her saying she has not needed the FODMAP approach. That doesn't mean it is not helpful and useful for some. She also said she would prefer the boards to get back to her diet, or something like that. So what I think she means is stick to her EFI diet first, use that as a starting point, then if you feel you need to try the FODMAP then do so, but at least get the basics down first.

I think it would benefit you to try not to dwell so much on IBS. Take a break and ease up a bit if you can. Don't fret about everything you put into your mouth. Keep a food journal, and see if you can determine what is best for you to eat. And by all means, find some mode of relaxation.

I hope this helps.

I'd second everything Gerikat says... new
      #368694 - 11/26/12 02:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

there are very few black and white aspects to IBS, and it just doesn't work to try and solve it like a math problem.

Have you tried gut-directed hypnotherapy? You do need something that will break the cycle of worry/anxiety about IBS that is surely going to trigger or worsen your symptoms.

Diet is a great help but it's going to involve many shades of gray, that will vary not just from person to person but even for one individual, depending on other factors in their life at different times. How you eat affects things, not just what you eat. And if you're stable you'll have more flexibility than if you're stressed, sleep deprived, sick with some other problem, etc.

I don't use the FODMAP approach. It wouldn't work for me, as it excludes foods I have no trouble with and it includes foods that make me violently ill. But it clearly helps some other people with IBS, so take that into consideration. It might help you, it might not. It's not the focus of this board, but there is a ton of info about it all over the internet and links to it from these boards as well.

It's up to you to choose the weapons in your IBS arsenal. I can't make this decision for you, you have to evaluate all IBS treatment options and decide which ones (all of them? a select few? trying them in some kind of order?) you want to use. This is the case for everyone. All I can do is give you the information and options, and as much details about them as possible (research, personal stories, citations to sources for further evaluation, etc.) Then you can decide what sounds like the best options for you and your life and move forward.

You need to start with a baseline, and go from there. And stress about IBS can counteract all other helpful measures, so please make addressing that issue your main focus for ow.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 387 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2588

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review