All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Is papaya and quinoa FODMAP safe?
      #368434 - 11/05/12 01:44 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Is there a chart with safe foods to eat? I know there is one in Syl's signature, but that isn't complete. It says Paw paw is safe and I think that is the same as papapay? And it says fennel is bad, but that is one of Heather's treatments for IBS! I don't understand what I'm supposet to eat. Syl, what do you eat?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Holy crap new
      #368436 - 11/05/12 01:52 PM
Cyndy

I eat most of the foods on that list! Avocado everyday, artichokes (yum) and fennel for the bloating!

Re: Is papaya and quinoa FODMAP safe? new
      #368439 - 11/05/12 03:01 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

FODMAP are specific kinds of carbohydrate. They are only carbs not oil, fat or proteins. These types of carbs are digested by bacteria in the colon rapidly producing gas and other byproducts that can trigger IBS symptoms.

Heather sells products with fennel oil or seeds for making tea. The oil and tea don't contain FODMAPs. The fennel bulb which may people eat contains FODMAPs. I am not sure about the seeds but they are high in fiber not recommended on the EFI diet.

There are FIVE FODMAP groups. You may not have a problem with all of them. I have difficulties with 4 of the 5. Fructans in wheat and other grains don't both me. Unfortunately, the best approach is to remove them all for a few weeks and then slowly start testing each group to figure out what you can tolerate.

It is difficult to find a definitive list of FODMAP free foods. It is simpler to learn which foods are known to contain FODMAPs and use this information to exclude those foods. However, one has to read food labels carefully. There is an excellent primer on FODMAPs in a newsletter prepared by International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (IFFGD). You may find it useful

Papaya or tropical paw paw should be safe according to the USDA database because it contains more glucose than fructose and therefore it is not an excess fructose food.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Holy crap new
      #368456 - 11/07/12 03:54 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Avocadoes are the most delicious and healthy things ever, but they are extremely high in fat and high in IF and from what I've heard even people with no IBS can have D from them.

quinoa is v high in IF and is a grain to boot (I've always found that IF from grains is a lot more problematic than IF from veggies). unless I eat loads and loads of SFS with the quinoa (which I can't afford to do) I get D. so I don't eat it. shame as it's v healthy again, but can't be helped.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#368457 - 11/07/12 03:57 AM
Susie1985

that's an interesting link and strange that it doesn't list broccoli anywhere. I certainly eat (cooked) broccoli as it's got ample SF and is the healthiest vegetable if there ever was one.

the link is also great for distinguishing between mannitol and sorbitol. Sorbitol I do well with, mannitol I am extremely sensitive to.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Avocado new
      #368460 - 11/07/12 06:09 AM
Syl

Avocado is a stone fruit like plums, cherries and peachs. These fruits contain a significant amount of sugar alcohols - in particular sorbitol. They are not FODMAP friendly. They are known to give many indiviudals problems. They give me D quickly!

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

okay, I'm done with this new
      #368462 - 11/07/12 09:16 AM
Cyndy

I refuse to let food rules become my life. It's crazy. I have Heather's books and she says it is necessary to include things like tomatoes and lentils (the easiest bean to digest, per Heather) in your diet. And I am IBS-C so I need IF. Heather lists quinoa as an SF source anyhow. I'm just gonna eat what sounds good, in moderation, and live my life. I have been following "food rules" for over 10 years and I am no better. So, I need to take a break from this website, once again. I do better when I am not obsessed with every food item that goes into my mouth. I'm glad you all found help...but every body is different. I will eat SF before IF and enjoy foods I like. Thanks for the help....but it's not for me, I fear. Heather's site never ever mentioned the FODMAP approach and many have recovered without it. It's become the new fad on this site. I can't afford to restrict anymore foods from my diet. Maybe I am doomed to live in pain. I just can't take the food rules, obsessions, and fear over every food I put into my mouth. I just need a break. Thanks for trying to help and again, glad it helped you. But I have become anxious, fearful, and upset over trying to figure out if what I put into my mouth is gonna cause me pain. I just can't read all these articles with conflicting advice and differing opinions on what foods to avoid and what is safe. I feel like I am going to have a nervous breakdown over all this. It consumes my every waking hour. I have no life outside of researching food diets. For all the time I have spent researching different IBS diets, I should be feeling well by now, and I'm not. So, I give up for now. Hopefully, I will be able to stay off this site until I am less overwhelmed. According to your posts, almost every food in my house should be thrown out. I can't afford that right now. I need IF or I don't go. I need beans so I can have a bowel movement once in a while. Okay....I'm done. Thanks for trying to help, seriously. I know you were trying to help..but enough is enough for me.For now, at least.

Re: okay, I'm done with this new
      #368466 - 11/07/12 09:54 AM
Syl

The clinically tested FODMAP diet is relatively new originating from GI research done in Australia over the past decade. A few days ago Heather posted a link the IBS Research Library to an article about the FODMAP diet and the first two links in my signature contain some useful information. Given that clinical trials of large numbers of IBS patients have shown a 60-70% reduction in symptoms - particularly pain - when the follow the FODMAP diet it might be something worth considering. You might look for a registered dietitian in your area that can advise on how to follow this diet. Many of us on the board use the FODMAP diet in conjunction with Heather's EFI diet with good results.

The International Foundation for Functional Bowel Disorders has an excellent are article on The Low FODMAP diet for IBS starting on page 9 in this newsletter. You may find it informative.

--------------------

#368467 - 11/07/12 12:06 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi Cyndy - just to say, in my own case, food was not the deal for me - I got myself down to crackers and water at one point, because 'every' food was a trigger. Not to say this is your case too, but for some folks, after trying various diets, etc. and still having problems, you may want to take a peek at clinical hypnotherapy, which helped me, to break food and other stress triggers resulting in IBS symptoms - it is a process and a subtle one, but might be something to consider if you havent done so. I had IBS since 1983 and suffered - many folks have found this method to be helpful to them when all else fails - reading and researching about IBS all the time can in some cases escalate IBS symptoms too. If you have any questions, let me know... all the best in your journey to feeling better. Take a look at my journey below if you wish...Take care.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#368469 - 11/07/12 12:36 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Cyndy, I COMPLETELY understand what you are saying. For every person on here there will be a different opinion and a different way.

You do get to a point where you obsess over every gram of fat, every gram of IF or SF, every single thing you put into your mouth, and guess what...you are still no better.

Forget this all for awhile. Do what you say in your post. Find out what works for you, not what someone else says will work for you. Eat in moderation, eat healthy, you certainly don't have much to lose, if you are still feeling so lousy. Sometimes you have to shut out all the noise so you can hear yourself think.

I too was C and was told to do away with the IF. I was sooo freakin C when I did this, I didn't go for a month. If I ate like some of these people on here,(a few carrots here and there),so limited, I would be sick all the time.

Try a food journal for awhile and see what you come up with, if you haven't already tried that. Take a peek at the hypnosis. Sometimes it's not all about the food!

#368470 - 11/08/12 04:50 AM
Susie1985

Really sorry about all your trouble. I can sympathise cos I experienced all this and only thing that helped for me to eat a really limited diet.

I base my diet on science and despite what Heather says quinoa is not an SF heavy source and lentils are also v high in IF. She is also not sensitive to FODMAPs, which makes her incredibly fortunate, but she is the exception rather than the rule. V few people have trouble with digestive stimulants yet are fine when it comes to FODMAPs. Some of the recipes would see me doubled up in pain as well as they are extremely high in fat and for me fat causes a lot of pain, so I have to limit fat PER MEAL, not per day. I have IBS-D not C so maybe it's different for you, although I thought the solution was the same - more SF than IF and both lentils and quinoa are much higher in IF than SF.

Anyway, constant GI trouble will also make you anxious/stressed/ in pain/ frustrated etc.

Hypnosis can really help with stress in general, but for me it hasn't solved my IBS.

only thing I could possibly help you with as a last thing is my advice on the diet solution, read below. if you wanted to give it a try:

'The diet solution is twofold:

A. follow the four EFI rules:
1. no alcohol
2. no caffeine
3. less insoluble fibre (IF) than soluble fibre (SF) per meals (peel, deseed and cook until soft) (use a soluble fibre supplement)
4. limited fat per meals - one meal calories coming from fat:25% maximum. (1g fat has 9kcal, 1g carb has 4kcal, 1g protein has 4kcal)

-rough guide fibre content of foods (actual fibre proportions and content depends on variety and ripeness and there is no accounting for resistant starch (RS), which means that e.g. bananas and black beans both have more functional fibre than stated due to high RS contents, which act as SF):
http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/File/OurServices/Service_Nutrition_Fiber.pdf
-fat content of oil - 1 tablespoonful of oil has 120kcal coming from fat!! (e.g. 100g raw chicken breast has 110kcal from other, 1 medium potato has 150kcal: so you can safely cook 200g of raw chicken breasts with that one tbpsoonful of oil and one boiled medium potato or 100g chicken breast and two medium potatoes with one tbsp of oil)

B. follow the FODMAP guidelines simultaneously:
http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

Safest foods to eat would be (eat them for a week or two at least): porridge (cooked in water), boiled/baked potatoes (no skin), cooled white rice, grilled chicken breast, shrimp, white fish, boiled carrots, peeled baked peppers, peeled cooked courgette (ie zucchini), tomato paste, orange juice, no-pulp-berry juice and a bit of fat with each meal (salmon/olive oil to mention two of the healthiest options, but do count the kcals here, see above), one yellow banana daily.

Incredibly restricted I know but I think you are extremely unlikely to have trouble from these foods and once your gut has calmed down after a week or so, you may experiment with adding different foods back into your diet one by one to see whether you can tolerate them. A food you can't tolerate may bother you within a couple of hours up to three days.

Normal bowel movements are always easy to pass and they number maximum 3 bowel movements per day & minimum 3 bowel movements per week.

Spasmodic pain and bloating may never be completely eliminated, but will probably be greatly reduced through adherence to this diet. '

--------------------

after reading your other comment new
      #368472 - 11/08/12 04:57 AM
Susie1985

feel free to ignore my post then, wish I hadn't typed all of it, should have read your kind other post first.

--------------------

'bless your hear, Gerikat!-nt new
      #368474 - 11/08/12 08:22 AM
Cyndy

#368475 - 11/08/12 08:27 AM
Cyndy

" She is also not sensitive to FODMAPs, which makes her incredibly fortunate, but she is the exception rather than the rule."

How do you know this? Years ago, this board was filled with people, many people, who have been helped by heather's diet. I have a cook book and 8 or so years worth of recipes from this board that you are now telling me are not safe, but yet, they used to be safe for the hundreds of people who used to post on this board. This board has become so sparse with posters now...It was so much easier when everyone was following Heather's diet and giving advise on Heather's diet. It is so confusing to have other diets mentioned and to be told "no, heather's diet doesn't work, follow this other diet". Then, the other diet is not even fully explained with comprehensive list of foods to avoid and what to eat.

That's all. I need hypno...hopefully that is my answer.

#368482 - 11/08/12 01:43 PM
Susie1985

Gosh, how come you don't remember what you yourself have posted/what threads you have started??

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=368435&page=2&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post368416

And based on her posts/ her advice and her recipes, I have to conclude that Heather's IBS is no means as acute as mine and she luckily does not have FODMAP problems, but (Syl has the statistics here) the vast majority of IBS sufferers apparently do.

Listen, if you follow the EFI diet and you still have problems, then the EFI diet is not helpful enough for you. Doesn't mean the EFI diet is wrong for someone with less serious IBS. And maybe your IBS was less serious a couple of years ago. Maybe you never ate the foods then that you are trying to incorporate into your diet cos our preferences change.

The link in Syl's signature (or mine) for FODMAPs is fairly straighforward, but here I have posted the most basic diet that is the least likely to give you GI trouble:

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=368470&page=1&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=

I believe it's not complicated and is v easily accessible. You are welcome to try it for 2 weeks and it may just work.

But hypnosis is also a good idea, it'll probably relax you if it helps nothing more, you sound v stressed. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

--------------------

I don't think this is a competition new
      #368483 - 11/08/12 02:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

between "less serious" and "more serious" IBS. What matters is what works for you - and what matters to other people is what works for them.

I have blacked out on several occasions from the severe agony and excruciating pain of an IBS attack. If I had not learned how to manage my IBS through diet - which took more than ten brutal years, starting when I was nine years old - I would still be in that kind of pain every single day. I have a hard time considering that "less acute" or "less serious" IBS than what others are dealing with.

You're welcome to post what helps you on this board, but please don't assume that what helps you but not others therefore makes their IBS less relevant, serious, or typical than yours.

I would never make that assumption, and I expect everyone else on this board to be at least that courteous in return.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I don't think this is a competition new
      #368484 - 11/09/12 02:32 AM
Susie1985

I am sorry to hear about those past episodes and I certainly didn't mean to belittle the severity of your IBS. I guess if there is someone that say can't eat two types of food otherwise they die, but they can eat everything else, that's still pretty serious, but I'd much rather have e.g. a nut allergy than IBS. And I really envy you for being able to eat in such a varied and healthy manner as is evident from your recipes and from your posts. I simply can't and I consider my IBS more serious merely on account of the extreme restrictions I have to take to avoid D and pain and even eating this way means I am still bloated. And I am seriously subsisting on v few fooditems and my diet couldn't be duller if I tried.

--------------------

Re: Holy crap *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #368489 - 11/10/12 10:55 AM
March

Reged: 11/10/12

Post deleted by March

#368490 - 11/10/12 11:43 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

That is a great idea! The efi plus food map board, that way if you need or want the additional info it's there, but you don't have it forced on you

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Absolutely! new
      #368492 - 11/10/12 11:54 AM
Cyndy

I get really upset, confused, and stressed out by all this confusion. I absolutely believe that this is Heather's site and should be dedicated to Heather's diet and her guidelines.

thanks for giving your two cents. Priceless opinion. You should post more often. You're help would be much appreciated.

Can I ask what your symptoms were and what products you find most helpful?

#368494 - 11/10/12 01:27 PM
Gerikat

Yes, yes, yes. I agree with all three of you. New peeps who come here are overwhelmed already and instead of sticking with Heather's basic diet, FODMAPS and fructose are crammed down their throats, so that they are totally confused. You three are so right and thanks to Cyndy for bringing this issue to the forefront.

Thank you for all your comments, and I would like to see this board more on topic. new
      #368500 - 11/12/12 11:13 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#369184 - 02/13/13 01:12 PM
Cyndy

Syl, are you sure fennel tea is allowed? What is your source for this?

FODMAPs & Fennel new
      #369185 - 02/13/13 01:33 PM
Syl

According to Kate Scarlatt's FODMAP check list the fennel bulb contains a little bit of fructans/GOS but up to 1/2 cup serving is okay for most people.

You make fennel tea from seeds which contain little if any FODMAPs. If they do contain FODMAPs little if any will leach into the water. It should be FODMAP safe.

However, I find most herbal teas including fennel tea do not agree with me. I am not sure why. Things other than FODMAPs can aggravate the bowel.

--------------------

Re: FODMAPs & Fennel new
      #369191 - 02/15/13 11:26 AM
Cyndy

I posted this question on Patsy Catsos website. She wrote IBS Free at Last which is all about how to eat low fodmap. This was her response. Doesn't sound like fennel tea is saffe if you eat low fodmap. Btw, this low fodmap diet is not helping me at all! I've been on it about 2 months. It is a crazy diet if you do it strictly. Only 1/4 cup of peas, 10 green beans, 1/4 cup of squash...Every food has an allowed amount. It's crazy! I'm gonna give it a little more time, but maybe I need the hypno cds more than anything.

here is patsy's response to my fennel tea question.
"I'm not sure about fennel seeds, I don't believe they've been analyzed. Fructans and GOS are water soluble, so IF they are in the seeds, and I'm not sure whether they are or not, they will end up in the tea water. Other seeds that have been analyzed tend to be OK in small amounts such as a tablespoon or two".

#369193 - 02/15/13 12:24 PM
Syl

Her response is okay. She is not sure but she says other seeds that have been analyzed tend to be okay in small amounts. I used exactly the same thinking in my response to you

Do you intend to use more than 2 tablespoons for a cup of tea? If yes, you might reconsider.

--------------------

#369196 - 02/15/13 05:38 PM
Gerikat

It does sound at bit nuts. God forbid you eat 11 green beans instead of 10.

Ha Ha new
      #369197 - 02/16/13 10:05 AM
Cyndy

LOL!!!!!
Only 3 cherries! No more!

Re: Ha Ha new
      #369199 - 02/16/13 11:32 AM
Gerikat

Yeah and you have to consider size...S-M-L could cut down the amount you are allowed.

FENNEL AND CHAMOMILLE TEA ARE HIGH FODMAP TEAS new
      #369892 - 07/31/13 08:54 AM
Cyndy

see below link

Re: FENNEL AND CHAMOMILLE TEA ARE HIGH FODMAP TEAS new
      #369893 - 07/31/13 09:32 AM
Syl

Thanks! However, it says "Camomile and fennel tea have fructans–boo! BUT, tolerance may vary." It depends on how strong you make the tea and how much one can tolerate.

PS - it would be helpful if you could fix the link as there is an error in the syntax.

--------------------

#369894 - 07/31/13 10:27 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Where is the citation for the actual clinical study on this? I can't find anything in pubmed by Monash University related to the blog post at all. There are some fruit/veggie citations by nothing for the teas.

- H

--------------------

There will not be any clinical studies required .... new
      #369895 - 07/31/13 12:33 PM
Syl

It will have come from a laboratory analysis of fructans in teas done at Monash University. Fennel bulb has been on the high FODMAP list for some time. Fructans are known to be water soluble. The question might have been the amount of fructans are in the fennel seeds and how much gets into solution when they are steeped in hot water. You might send Dr. Shepherd an email and as for clarification. If you get more information please post it. Thanks

--------------------

Re: There will not be any clinical studies required .... new
      #369896 - 07/31/13 12:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Right - I'm looking for the Monash study (mentioned in the Scarlatta blog but not actually properly cited) and can't find it anywhere - not pubmed, not the Monash edu site, etc.

Did they brew tea from fennel bulbs? Seeds? Indian or Mediterranean species? Botanical name?

Right now there is no actual information I can find, just a blog ref with nothing to support it. Without knowing where the info came from I don't actually know what the information is.

- H

--------------------

#369897 - 07/31/13 12:59 PM
Syl

On this web page she says "My colleague Patsy Catsos attended the most recent Monash University seminar on the low FODMAP diet and is on her way back to the States as we speak! To say I am excited to speak with Patsy on her return would be an understatement." Later in the New News section she states "Camomile and fennel tea have fructans–boo! BUT, tolerance may vary." Perhaps you could contact Patsy Catsos for more details.

You are absolutely correct that the source and variety of fennel is very important. In their published work Monash is usually careful about identifying the food sources and varieties being analyzed.

--------------------

BTW -- new
      #369898 - 07/31/13 01:20 PM
Syl

If you don't have the following reference material I can send it to you.

Muir, J. G., Rose, R., Rosella, O., Liels, K., Barrett, J. S., Shepherd, S. J., & Gibson, P. R. (2009). Measurement of Short-Chain Carbohydrates in Common Australian Vegetables and Fruits by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 57(2), 554-565.

Muir, J. G., Shepherd, S. J., Rosella, O., Rose, R., Barrett, J. S., & Gibson, P. R. (2007). Fructan and Free Fructose Content of Common Australian Vegetables and Fruit. J. Agric. Food Chem., 55(16), 6619-6627.

--------------------

#369899 - 07/31/13 03:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Thank you - I'm hoping it hits pubmed.

- H

--------------------

#369905 - 08/01/13 09:05 AM
Cyndy

high fodmap teas

There ya go, Syl. Corrected. Sorry! -nt-link included new
      #369906 - 08/01/13 09:06 AM
Cyndy

fodmaps in teas

this is updated info from Monash! -nt new
      #369907 - 08/01/13 12:34 PM
Cyndy

Re: this is updated info from Monash! -nt new
      #369908 - 08/01/13 12:45 PM
Syl

The problem is the results have not been published and hence there is no way of knowing how the fennel was prepared, from which part of the plant it was prepared and what variety of fennel was used.

As Kate has acknowledged in her blogs - the amount of any given FODMAP in a food can variety from region to region depending on growing conditions and the variety. It may be possible that fennel tea prepared from some varieties fennel grown in certain geographical locations may contain low amounts of FODMAPs.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1380 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30755

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review