All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: FENNEL AND CHAMOMILLE TEA ARE HIGH FODMAP TEAS new
      #369893 - 07/31/13 09:32 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Thanks! However, it says "Camomile and fennel tea have fructans–boo! BUT, tolerance may vary." It depends on how strong you make the tea and how much one can tolerate.

PS - it would be helpful if you could fix the link as there is an error in the syntax.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#369894 - 07/31/13 10:27 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Where is the citation for the actual clinical study on this? I can't find anything in pubmed by Monash University related to the blog post at all. There are some fruit/veggie citations by nothing for the teas.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

There will not be any clinical studies required .... new
      #369895 - 07/31/13 12:33 PM
Syl

It will have come from a laboratory analysis of fructans in teas done at Monash University. Fennel bulb has been on the high FODMAP list for some time. Fructans are known to be water soluble. The question might have been the amount of fructans are in the fennel seeds and how much gets into solution when they are steeped in hot water. You might send Dr. Shepherd an email and as for clarification. If you get more information please post it. Thanks

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: There will not be any clinical studies required .... new
      #369896 - 07/31/13 12:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Right - I'm looking for the Monash study (mentioned in the Scarlatta blog but not actually properly cited) and can't find it anywhere - not pubmed, not the Monash edu site, etc.

Did they brew tea from fennel bulbs? Seeds? Indian or Mediterranean species? Botanical name?

Right now there is no actual information I can find, just a blog ref with nothing to support it. Without knowing where the info came from I don't actually know what the information is.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#369897 - 07/31/13 12:59 PM
Syl

On this web page she says "My colleague Patsy Catsos attended the most recent Monash University seminar on the low FODMAP diet and is on her way back to the States as we speak! To say I am excited to speak with Patsy on her return would be an understatement." Later in the New News section she states "Camomile and fennel tea have fructans–boo! BUT, tolerance may vary." Perhaps you could contact Patsy Catsos for more details.

You are absolutely correct that the source and variety of fennel is very important. In their published work Monash is usually careful about identifying the food sources and varieties being analyzed.

--------------------

BTW -- new
      #369898 - 07/31/13 01:20 PM
Syl

If you don't have the following reference material I can send it to you.

Muir, J. G., Rose, R., Rosella, O., Liels, K., Barrett, J. S., Shepherd, S. J., & Gibson, P. R. (2009). Measurement of Short-Chain Carbohydrates in Common Australian Vegetables and Fruits by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 57(2), 554-565.

Muir, J. G., Shepherd, S. J., Rosella, O., Rose, R., Barrett, J. S., & Gibson, P. R. (2007). Fructan and Free Fructose Content of Common Australian Vegetables and Fruit. J. Agric. Food Chem., 55(16), 6619-6627.

--------------------

#369899 - 07/31/13 03:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Thank you - I'm hoping it hits pubmed.

- H

--------------------

#369905 - 08/01/13 09:05 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

high fodmap teas

There ya go, Syl. Corrected. Sorry! -nt-link included
      #369906 - 08/01/13 09:06 AM
Cyndy

fodmaps in teas

this is updated info from Monash! -nt new
      #369907 - 08/01/13 12:34 PM
Cyndy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1285 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30827

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review