All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
suicidal?
      #368367 - 10/29/12 05:34 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I wonder if anyone has ever committed suicide because of the IBS pain? I think about it so often...especially lately. I'm in so much pain, after so many years. I don't know what to do anymore. I honestly would rather be in no pain and in heaven than in this pain while in hell on earth.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: suicidal? new
      #368370 - 10/30/12 07:07 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It has likely crossed the minds of many suffers of IBS but not as a serious consideration but more likely as frustration.

You might consider the FODMAP diet which is a clinically tested diet that has been shown to reduce symptoms of functional bowel disorders like IBS. You can read about in the first two links in my signature. You might also talk to your GI doctor or a registered dietitian about the FODMAP dietary approach too.

Hang in there

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368371 - 10/30/12 01:20 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Many many times I had thought of it - just to be free of pain - my gastro told me he could control the pain of his colon cancer patients better than his IBS patients.

Consider taking a peek at my link below - I know it may sound a bit 'out there' but clinical hypnotherapy can greatly control the pain of IBS - I used the IBS Audio Program offered here - and I use the pain session for other types of pain as well, it is very helpful especially when nothing else seems to help. not a cure, but many folks have found great success and relief using this method. If you have any questions, let me know - and know that you are NOT alone - there IS hope. (((HUGS))) and caring to you... xx

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#368372 - 10/30/12 03:09 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hi Cyndy,

I don't know anything about you except that you suffer from IBS. I can hear the desperation and frustration in your post. Did you ever read Heather's story? Her predominant symptom is/was pain. That might be helpful to you.

There are so many here who want to help and give great advice. True, it can be a struggle every day, but always have hope of a better and brighter tomorrow.

I know there are many who feel as you do, so you are not alone in your thinking. Chronic conditions are the hardest to deal with. Just know that this is the best website for help, and we are here to get you through.

Don't give up - it is never to late for IBS to get better... new
      #368373 - 10/30/12 03:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

When I was a little kid and having a severe attack of IBS pain, I used to dream that someone would break into the house, break into the bathroom, and kill me.

It wasn't possible to imagine killing myself because when I'm in that kind of pain I literally cannot move, speak, or sometimes even breathe. If I'm lucky, I'll black out from the pain and then I don't have to endure it anymore.

But - if I eat properly for IBS, I can prevent well over 99% of those attacks. And if I go right for a strong hot cup of peppermint tea (and I mean strong - brew it black) I can stop the pain in seconds. I need someone to make that tea for me if the pain has already hit, but if that's an option it works beautifully.

I didn't have gut-directed hypnotherapy as an option back then, but I sure as hell would have tried it had it been available to me. If you haven't looked into this option, run to the hypno section of this site right now and look over the info. Seriously - this is something that can break a lifelong cycle of severe, debilitating, seeming insurmountable IBS when everything else has been tried and failed.

We're here for you - and we definitely know what you are going through.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#368379 - 10/31/12 03:59 PM
nutritionlover

Reged: 09/18/11

Please don't give up! I know how difficult it can be and hopeless it can seem sometimes when you don't feel well, but things can get better.

Do you have anyone you can talk with about how you are feeling? Family, friends, etc? Also, it is absolutely possible that health struggles (such as IBS) can cause severe depression. For me, I have developed severe anxiety w/ some depression, but both anxiety and depression are very common among those with IBS. Anti-depressants can help you feel better emotionally, and some (particularly TCAs, but some SSRIS as well) can also help IBS symptoms. You might want to discuss this with a doctor.

Have you exhausted every option in terms of diet, seen several gastro Drs, been ruled out for other conditions (celiac, crohns, gallbladder etc), tried antispasmodics (such as Bentyl), etc? There's always alternative medicine as well, such as acupuncture. Hypnosis is a great option as well!

Finally, I don't know what you believe, but prayer and reading the Bible always gives me hope. It may not take away the pain, but it can help you not feel so desperate and hopeless. I'll say a prayer that you find some hope.

--------------------
IBS A (more D than C). Severe GERD & Hiatal Hernia as well.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

#368410 - 11/04/12 09:54 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

oh

I find that self-hypnosis often helps (jsut closing your eyes and putting your hands on your tummy and willing yourself that the pain eases etc) it's also v relaxing.

otherwise Buscopan (over the counter medication) also helps me greatly with even the worst of spasms.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6387 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3549

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review