All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Raw Milk
      #367653 - 06/21/12 01:06 PM
Ksjaber

Reged: 06/21/12

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not IBS. I was undiagnosed for two years having doctors laugh at me, and even some getting angry when I broke down crying in front of them... but that's a different story.

One of my dreams has ALWAYS been to have a farm, grow my own food, live off the land, (without killing any of my animals, because I can't do that!). When I was diagnosed with IBS, my dreams got shattered a bit. I thought I wouldn't be able to milk the animals (I want to milk cows, and goats), which is a huge part of farming. I mean I can make butter, yogurt, even ice cream with it. So, for a while I was trying to figure out what to do. I've always known that raw milk is better than pasteurized (you can live off drinking only raw milk your entire life), but I didn't really know how different it was. I've recently read that Raw Milk is fine for people with IBS, and in some cases actually cured it. I'm just really worried, because my symptoms get pretty severe when I screw up. I was hoping someone has tried it.

It's actually illegal to sell Raw Milk in some states (including mine). Just because of bacteria issues that may occur milking in an unsafe environment. And of course, heat kills bacteria. But, as long as the cow is mostly grass fed with a bit of grain. And milked properly. It's very safe to drink. Here's one of the articles I've read about it: RAW MILK

Any ideas or thoughts would be nice, even if you haven't tried it. And, just so everyone knows, I'm not worried about drinking the raw milk. I've done it before, pre IBS, right out of the cow. So, I'm really not worried about that part of it. Just the IBS

Kelsey

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Raw Milk new
      #367654 - 06/21/12 01:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kelsey - I love your farm dream! Hope that comes true for you very soon.

All dairy products, raw or otherwise, are going to be hard on your gut. The fat, casein and whey (dairy proteins), and lactose can all trigger GI symptoms.

I'm not sure where you saw that raw milk could cure IBS, but that is certainly untrue - and patently ridiculous. IBS is a dysfunction of the nervous system of the gut, and the way it interacts with the brain. Right now, there is no cure, and the closest thing to it would be gut-directed hypnotherapy.

Dietary changes, supplements, drugs, etc. can manage symptoms but won't address the underlying pathology.

You could cautiously try some raw milk, but the odds aren't good your IBS will do well with it. The more you drink the more likely it will cause problems.

But - this doesn't mean you can't have your farm and make raw milk products for others who can eat them. You could eat the other things you grow, and still get to care for the animals.

Hope this helps a bit,

Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#367655 - 06/21/12 01:30 PM
Ksjaber

Reged: 06/21/12

Sorry, I shouldn't have said cure... That was the wrong word. I read that it helps, and that many stopped getting symptoms after switching to RAW. Here's a link, and so you won't have to search, I just copied and pasted.

(3) Protection from asthma and other health disorders – There's a lot of anecdotal evidence to show that many have been healed by consuming raw milk. Improvements in autism, asthma, metabolic syndrome, mood disorders, irritable bowl syndrome (IBS), Crohn's disease … I can go on. To read some testimonials, click here. But for all you doubters out there, a large European study known as the GABRIELA study has shown that children who drink raw milk are 40% less likely to develop allergies and asthma than children who drink pasteurized milk. In my husband's case, raw milk was not only more digestible; the probiotics (good bacteria) therein actually helped repair his digestion. And frankly, that's good enough evidence for me.

Of course, I trust you more than them. I know a few farmers so maybe I can get a little bit to try, and see what happens! Thank you for the quick response, and I'm still going to have a farm. One of my favorite things about IBS is that mushrooms are so good for you. I love mushrooms! They've always been my favorite food. And I love animals anyway. So even if I can't live off them, they'll be good companions!

Kelsey

#367657 - 06/21/12 03:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

My guess is probiotics are playing a big role in the benefits. You can definitely add probiotics in as supplements or with soy yogurt, miso, using a prebiotic soluble fiber to encourage growth of probiotics in the gut, etc. Can't hurt, might well help!

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1259 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6246

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review